Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
The FN "Five-Seven" is a spinoff of the failed Russian case design taken a bit further in development. It's main purpose was to be the round chambered for a close quarter subgun which can be deployed from vehicles and from under garments.
Its designers had to create a small caliber cartridge that could penetrate a kevlar helmet at 200 meters. They succeeded.
I fired the FN P-90 carbine 5years ago and was impressed with the capability of the cartridge. It penetrated 47 layers of kevlar at 15 yeards and that was with the aluminum core training ammo. The lead core stuff would have definitely gone through more layers. At that time the ammo and weapons were still ATF restricted and in very short supply. The pistol was still not yet in the States.
The pistol is flat shooting and capable of 100 yard shooting. Not many pistols can claim and do that with such little recoil.

The case head is the size of a 25ACP, so chambering a small rifle for it would be a neat endeavor.
Ken

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
some have already necked it to 17 cal.....

I've seen some info at Saubier's site "Small Caliber News' forum.
It would be just under the 17 Ack Hnt in powder/case volume,,not sure how much.
Picked up an empty case left by a team demo'ing the arms several years ago.
It is cute.
It, or the .30 Carbine case are close to the Hornet case,,without the rim.
I would like to read more about the 17 version.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is the reason my wife got to buy a Canon Rebel digital camera, LOL

I have been having fun with my new pair of FN's. I have shot 2 coyotes with my pistol, both under 40yrds and while they were not dead right there, they did the death spin and didn't travel far. The Ps90 is just plain fun, I call it my autoloading 22 Hornet. I have just started loading for it with some mixed success ( see the reloading forum). Oh ya, if you folks have any 5.7x28 brass you want to part with let me know, because factory ammo and once fired are the only sources for brass. Email me if you do.... KBZ186atGmaildotCom.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its designers had to create a small caliber cartridge that could penetrate a kevlar helmet at 200 meters. They succeeded.
Yep, but that ammo has been banned from further import...

The only ammo available now is is plastic tipped or HPs.

I have one of the pistols, fun too shoot, but not really "practical" for anything but plinking.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
HK makes a similar cartridge and calls it something different. They also have a little select-fire PDW. I think if HK offered a traditional gun like the MP5 in 5.7 it would catch on a bit better. I don't think the commercial market was ready for the FN PDW but I have heard good things about the pistol. Never fired one but it keeps bugging me. B&T took over production of the little Steyr PDW and call it the MP9 but it is chambered in 9x19 - another excellent candidate for a fast little .22. Ken, you ever seen or heard of BGs with body armour in your area?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is true the SS190 Ap ammo is restricted to LE/Military

But there is a reloading company out there making steel tipped,subsonic and tracer ammo. Do a search on Gunbroker for SS91. I have not tried their products, nor do I really have a use for such ammo but on other forums they are getting good reviews.

Heres the company's contact info...

Wilfred L. Baca
Baca Ballistics Mfg.
510 La Chapa
El Paso, TX 79912

Not to start a fight or anything, I have to dismiss the "plinking" comment as there have been several documented shootings by LE officers and the results were similar to what I observed with the 2 yotes we called in. It is not the ultimate self defense caliber but it is no slouch either.

·
Registered
446 Posts
and now Thompson Center is planning to chamber Contender barrels in the 5.7x28 cartridge. Now take it to 20cal and watch the fur fly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 5.7x28 necked down to 17 makes a sweet Squirrel round. Reamed out a good 17HMR Contender carbine barrel and it makes the perfect drive-by gopher getter. Put a cheep Green Mountain barrel on a Savage model 12 and it makes a easy sub 1/2 MOA rifle. Need some more range time, but it looks real promising.

Sure would like to put a 17 barrel in the five seven pistol just for fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I had a Five Seven I would be tempted to go to work in the shop and build one. Saw a pix of the stripped barrel, looks like it would be an 'interesting' project. Lets see, how many barrels could I make from one 28" blank?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hey Keith,
A gunsmith friend of mine in Reno, NV. Jeff Wise, got a big bunch of this ammo that had been fired in demo's for the police about 5 years ago and had a reamer made that necked this little cartridge down to 17 cal. It knocks the crap out of a groundsquirrel and is really accurate and economical to load. Looks like the barrel will last for a long time too. I don't remember which action he put it on. I think it'd be a real varmint thumper in 20 cal also. I'm talking rifle barrel not pistol here. Godsdog.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heyyy...

a semi auto rifle in 4.5 x 28,,,now you're talking a REAL gopher shootin rifle!
.. And perfect size/shape for an AR platform, maybe.?
How would that compare with a MkIV I wonder (or the new Remington case, whichever).?? Uh-ohh.. :rolleyes:
Magazine mods'd prolly kill it, tho'.. d:^) Jake

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The 5.7x28 necked down to 17 makes a sweet Squirrel round. Reamed out a good 17HMR Contender carbine barrel and it makes the perfect drive-by gopher getter. Put a cheep Green Mountain barrel on a Savage model 12 and it makes a easy sub 1/2 MOA rifle. Need some more range time, but it looks real promising.

Sure would like to put a 17 barrel in the five seven pistol just for fun.
Sounds like someone has a reamer.....You wouldnt happen to be able to chamber a CZ barrel???? Did you make a new bolthead for the 12 or put a bushing in it???
Thinking this little round would work great out of the little 527 CZ action????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.