Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has one of the old XP-100 mid trigger 221 pistols and wants to mount a scope on it. Anyone have a favorite mount to recommend?

He has sixty-two year old eyes and wants a fairly powerful pistol scope on top. He is partial to Leupolds or would be happy with similar quality. Looking for suggestions here too, I haven't had a chance to research this at all.

Thanks,
Hu

·
Registered
16 Posts
xp

just go with the leupold base 1 piece , i have all my xp's with the leupold 1 piece , and i have a burris base and a couple weaver 1 piece ones on my 600 rifles
have a ken light base on my br rifle xp and it has kelbly rings
but the best for hunting with and shooting and banging around would be the leupold

·
Registered
270 Posts
Burris or leupold mounts and rings, the Burris Signature rings are very good. I'm partial to Burris handgun scopes, he can chose from a 2-7X or a 3-12X, both have excellent glass. I have a couple of each and pleased with both models.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Leupold, Redfield or Burris.

Hu, I have three of the XP-100's and each have a different mount. The 7-mm BR has the three ring set-up from Redfield. This is a fine set-up. The other two have Leupold one piece base with 2 rings and Burris-one piece base with 2 rings. I don't believe the 3-ring set-up is necessary for the .221 Fireball simply because it doesn't jump around alot with recoil.
I'm very pleased with all three of these arrangements and I don't believe you can go wrong with any of them.
I have a 2x7 Redfield on the 7-mm BR--great scope. I have a 10X Burris on one 221 Fireball and I think the other is a 7X Burris. I have owned these for several years without any problems. The 10X Burris takes some getting used to due to the small field of view. It is best to use both eyes open when aquiring the target. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hu

My XP is on it's way to PacNor for a new barrel, when it gets back it will be wearing a new Wenig stock with Leupold base and Burris Signature rings holding a Burris 3-12 scope.

Oh yeah, I have sixty year old eyes too.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys!

I told Bruce the board would come through. It did in flying colors as usual. The Leupold bases get the nod and the Signature rings. I do like them and Arnold Jewell's similar rings. I'll have to ask which of the scopes mentioned Bruce wants. I would think that 9X on top would be plenty of scope for the 221 but of course it is his call. The pistol is in one of the plastic factory stocks and he doesn't have anything special in the way of a benchrest so I would think that crosshair movement may become an issue.

Hu

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I had a XP in .221 Fireball a few years back. I used Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases for a standard Rem 700. I shortened up the rear base and only used the one screw with a little blue Loctite, never had a problem with it. Then I used a Lepold 12x scope, varmint version I think it was, had a dot reticle and just the elevation turret. Little bugger shot pretty darn good.

Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
LR pistol scopes

I have never owned an XP-100, but have shot a few of them, I own a few Contenders, as far as I am concerned, the only scope worth considering is the Burris 3-12, prefferably the Ballistic plex reticle. You will never regret this choice, the parralex adjustment alone makes this the only viable choice for precision shooting. The Ballistic plex reticle offers invaluable "reference points", they may not be "spot-on"", but they will prove to be invaluable in the field. "Flame suit on" Hit me with your best shot!! Russ

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hu, I've got an XP in 223 and (somewhat long)

it wears a Burris 3-9X pistol scope on top of the Redfield 2 ring base. I think the gun needs a bit more magnification and 12X would be just about right. Remember, he can always turn it down, but you can't get the 3-9 above 9X. ;) It also has the Peep Plex reticle and I'm ready to pirate the 3-9 off my T/C Fireball barrel because the reticle covers most PD's at any type of long range. I think the Ballistic Plex is the way to go.

Back to the scope mount. I really don't like the base that's on it, but it is set up perfect for the eye relief of the scope and my arm length. I really think that is the main criteria for using the center grip XP's and Savage Strikers. Most pistol scopes are designed for a rear grip set up like T/C's and revolvers.

My gun also wears a bipod stud on the front so I can attach a Harris BR model to it. I just set the bottom of the grip on a somewhat flat sand bag and it's nearly as stable as a BR setup. One downfall to using the harris on a concrete bench is the legs grip the top and tend to bounce. :( I cured that problem with a small sheet of formica and a little Suave baby powder deoderant on the mica. It now slides as slick as snot. :)

One other thing on the Fireball. Both of mine (the T/C and a CZ rifle) like the 50 gr SX, but the trajectory difference from the SX to the 40 gr V-Max is huge. Out to around 200 yds, there isn't much of a difference, but strech it a bit more and you have to hold way over on the SX, but not with the 40 V-Max. Terminal performance is very different after the 200 yd range too.

I wonder if the old SX and Blitzes is how the 222/223 class rifles were rated as 200-250 yard cartridges back in the day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i shoot a dozen contender n encore handguns, n nearly half wear the 3x12 burris ler scope. it is THE pistol scope to have in most instances, especially target/varmint rigs. i actually prefer the 2x7 model for a deer rig, OR a bushnell trophy 2x6 for a cheaper but VERY effective user.

now......IF the 221 xp is gonna be used a lot for bench work, or possibly in the field(with some practice n luck) a RIFLE scope is an option as well. you can back up from it to let the view(black circle) close in around the target to keep from gettin bonked on the bean :p the 221 may allow you some leeway there. i use a riflescope on my 14" 22lr match and 14" .223 contenders. i like it on those. if ya got one layin around, try it before ya lay cash down for a handgun scope.

ps:
some shoot some really big caliber handguns with riflescopes, but use a good muzzle brake coupled with "backing up" to allow that. i doubt that method would work all that well here with the closer ranges in the east.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys

Wanted to let everyone know that I am still reading the thread and much appreciate the advice posted after my last post. I would have thought that the 3X multiplication of the 3x9 would have had a little better brightness and clarity than the 3X12 but with the overwhelming support for the 3x12 I am going to advise my friend to purchase it. Signature rings are a given. I was sure of the Leo one piece mount until the question of the midgrip pistol being too far back for those to work well was raised. I may have to get the scope in hand and play with it before mounting it.

The XP is owned by a guy who has some very nice guns but he is really "just" an enthusiast. He doesn't hunt and isn't obsessed with the level of accuracy many of us chase or have chased. He reloads a bit but buys factory for things like the .221 that he doesn't shoot a lot.

Thanks again for all posts,
Hu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts