Varmint Hunters Forum banner

What scope do you have on your 17HMR

5610 Views 27 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  George Foster
Curious as to what folks have on their 17HMR. I picked up a Savage 93R17 in grey laminate w/ scope package a couple weeks ago. The scope is pretty good at distance but not so much at 50 yds, and with no AO it's all fuzzy for me. Not wanting to spend a fortune but do want something good.

If you have the same model rifle, please post what scope rings/mounts you used as well. I've had good results with DNZ mounts, but not sure about the height of the rings since I don't know which scope I'll end up with. TIA
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
I owned a model Savage model 93 .. I used the extra tall Weaver quad locks. And a barska 6x24 50mm AO.. not a bad scope. Pretty inexpensive. I believe I got it on eBay for 60 bucks.

Attachments

See less See more
I have the savage 93 in left hand version. I have Leupold bases and Burris signature rings holding a Leupold Vari-X ll 2-7 scope. It鈥檚 a sweet tractor/ pickup rifle.
Marlin SS heavy fluted here with Weaver bases and med Burris Signature Z-Rings here.(nothing but Burris Signatures on my rifles)

I have a silver Weaver V16 with the tiny cross hairs and dot. The Marlin is a tack driver and the power and dot cross hairs work perfect 95% of the time. The other 5% is sometimes you can "lose" the dot in shadows. Not the reticle for low light situations
I use a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 with the Ballistic Plex reticle, and it works perfectly on an HMR, at least out to 250 yards, where an HMR is gutless, anyway. The parallax probably wouldn't work for you up close, but it sure works on a hunting rifle.
Mueller

I don't have a Savage 93 any more but I do have a CZ 452 HMR. It has a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with adjustable objective. It is one of those "lotta' bang for the buck" scopes you hear so much about. AO is darned near a requirement in my opinion. I have never been able to get the prairie dogs to all line up at the same distance.
I use Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes on most of my rifles including the rimfires, mostly 4-12x models. Jim Carmichael stated in the book Modern Rifle to set your Adjustable Objective on 200yds for all varmint hunting and that is what I do. Seems to work well.
I don't have a Savage 93 any more but I do have a CZ 452 HMR. It has a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with adjustable objective. It is one of those "lotta' bang for the buck" scopes you hear so much about. AO is darned near a requirement in my opinion. I have never been able to get the prairie dogs to all line up at the same distance.
How are the xhairs on that model??? I've got a couple of Muellers and have looked at them but wondering about the thickness of the xhairs? Thin enough to see the pdogs??
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the suggestions and help.
My boys gave a me 93R17 and I put a Bushnell 4200 4-16 on it and have been very happy with it. Getting a new stock helped a lot also.
I ended up putting a Athlon Talos 4x16 on my 17hmr, xhairs are thin enough for me, like it a lot but only shot it about 50 or 75 rounds with it on the rig.
Please let us know how you like after a few more rounds.
Will do.
I have a Marlin 17V. The scope is a Swift 4-12x40 AO. Rings are Burris Z Signature.
On my Marlin 17 VL, I have a Bushnell 6-18X with focusing objective and I love it.. Plenty of power for long shot or targets , but 6X is good for hunting.... Bushnell's optics are clear and bright and the adjustments are crisp and repeatable...
I have the heavy-barreled Savage with a Leupold 3.5X10X50. No complaints. Had to use tall rings, though.
Finally found a picture of my 93R17 with the scope on it.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top