Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what folks have on their 17HMR. I picked up a Savage 93R17 in grey laminate w/ scope package a couple weeks ago. The scope is pretty good at distance but not so much at 50 yds, and with no AO it's all fuzzy for me. Not wanting to spend a fortune but do want something good.

If you have the same model rifle, please post what scope rings/mounts you used as well. I've had good results with DNZ mounts, but not sure about the height of the rings since I don't know which scope I'll end up with. TIA

Registered
I owned a model Savage model 93 .. I used the extra tall Weaver quad locks. And a barska 6x24 50mm AO.. not a bad scope. Pretty inexpensive. I believe I got it on eBay for 60 bucks.

Attachments

Registered
I have the savage 93 in left hand version. I have Leupold bases and Burris signature rings holding a Leupold Vari-X ll 2-7 scope. It鈥檚 a sweet tractor/ pickup rifle.

Registered
Marlin SS heavy fluted here with Weaver bases and med Burris Signature Z-Rings here.(nothing but Burris Signatures on my rifles)

I have a silver Weaver V16 with the tiny cross hairs and dot. The Marlin is a tack driver and the power and dot cross hairs work perfect 95% of the time. The other 5% is sometimes you can "lose" the dot in shadows. Not the reticle for low light situations

Registered
I use a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 with the Ballistic Plex reticle, and it works perfectly on an HMR, at least out to 250 yards, where an HMR is gutless, anyway. The parallax probably wouldn't work for you up close, but it sure works on a hunting rifle.

Registered
Mueller

I don't have a Savage 93 any more but I do have a CZ 452 HMR. It has a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with adjustable objective. It is one of those "lotta' bang for the buck" scopes you hear so much about. AO is darned near a requirement in my opinion. I have never been able to get the prairie dogs to all line up at the same distance.

Administrator
I use Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes on most of my rifles including the rimfires, mostly 4-12x models. Jim Carmichael stated in the book Modern Rifle to set your Adjustable Objective on 200yds for all varmint hunting and that is what I do. Seems to work well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a Savage 93 any more but I do have a CZ 452 HMR. It has a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with adjustable objective. It is one of those "lotta' bang for the buck" scopes you hear so much about. AO is darned near a requirement in my opinion. I have never been able to get the prairie dogs to all line up at the same distance.
How are the xhairs on that model??? I've got a couple of Muellers and have looked at them but wondering about the thickness of the xhairs? Thin enough to see the pdogs??

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the suggestions and help.

Registered
My boys gave a me 93R17 and I put a Bushnell 4200 4-16 on it and have been very happy with it. Getting a new stock helped a lot also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up putting a Athlon Talos 4x16 on my 17hmr, xhairs are thin enough for me, like it a lot but only shot it about 50 or 75 rounds with it on the rig.

Registered
I have a Marlin 17V. The scope is a Swift 4-12x40 AO. Rings are Burris Z Signature.

Registered
On my Marlin 17 VL, I have a Bushnell 6-18X with focusing objective and I love it.. Plenty of power for long shot or targets , but 6X is good for hunting.... Bushnell's optics are clear and bright and the adjustments are crisp and repeatable...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts