Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a nice scope on this new gun but dont know what type to put on it. I would like it to sit close to the gun so something with a 30ish objective with 3-9 power would be fine. I also like the idea of mildot. I know I know this is not a looooong range gun but my brother gun shoots like a dream and I will be doing some long range cow pie plinking. What do yall suggest. I would like a nice gloss finish and something that is the quailty of an leupold or Nikon. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
What do you mean by long range? I normally put scopes designed for . 22's on .22's as they have the parallax adjusted for 50yds, which is appropriate for my .22 plinking. On rifles that will be shot at longer ranges, I'll put a "normal" (100 yd parallax) scope. Recently I installed a Sightron 3x9 on a long range rimfire and have been very happy with both performance and price.

G

·
Check the "optics" string

I asked the same question recently about my new CZ 452 Varmint in .22LR. There were/are a lot of good suggestions. In the course of looking, I encountered everything from a Tasco "Target & Varmint" on the low end ($70) to whatever amount you want to spend on the high end. I ended up with a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm, which, for the distance, should work well.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
I recently put a Nikon Prostaff 2X7 X32 shotgun scope on a bolt action 22 LR rifle.

It has the regular NikoPlex reticle and the parallax is set at 70 yards. So far I have been very happy with the performance of the scope/rifle combination which will be used almost entirely at 100 yards and less.

-BCB

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Imho

GO with a fine crosshair or "Duplex" type in a 3x9. Nikon, or Sightron are both good. I have a CZ452 in 22lr and it is a squirrel killin' machine with that set up. The "Dot" covers too much target area IMHO. WD

·
Registered
391 Posts
May I add?

I recently put a Nikon Prostaff 2X7 X32 shotgun scope on a bolt action 22 LR rifle.

It has the regular NikoPlex reticle and the parallax is set at 70 yards. So far I have been very happy with the performance of the scope/rifle combination which will be used almost entirely at 100 yards and less.

-BCB
What gets me through the day: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with Bullsh.......:D

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
What gets me through the day: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with Bullsh.......:D
Crowhunter:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Maybe you could help me out here to understand what you're saying??

-BCB

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
If you're doubting what I'm saying.....

Crowhunter:

Here's a couple of pictures of the 22 LR rifle and scope and a pic of the end flap from the box.

I also checked the technical specs for the scope and the parallax is set at @ 70 meters, or @ 75 yards. Sorry abut the incorrect 70 yard parallax figure given earlier. I hope that's all that caused doubt on your part.

Bottom line: I'm very happy with the 2X7X32 scope and how it performed, as well as how the rifle shoots. The rifle is a Reminton Model 5 in 22 LR, and like I said, it will not be used for anything much beyod 100 yards ever.

The focus on the end label isn't the best, but if you'll squint a little bit and look closely, you'll see it reads, "Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 Shotgun Hunter Matte Nikoplex".

HTH - BCB

·
Registered
391 Posts
Crowhunter:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Maybe you could help me out here to understand what you're saying??

-BCB
If you have to deal with someone: a boss, a colleague, etc If you do not know enough to impress them with your knowledge then baffle them with BS. If they are too confused by what you say (the bullsh... part)to even come up with a question to ask you, then you are home free.
It really is just a joke. But in my line of work, school teacher, it sometimes fits.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry.

-BCB
I am sorry. That was in no way directed at what you said.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
If you have to deal with someone: a boss, a colleague, etc If you do not know enough to impress them with your knowledge then baffle them with BS. If they are too confused by what you say (the bullsh... part)to even come up with a question to ask you, then you are home free.
It really is just a joke. But in my line of work, school teacher, it sometimes fits.
I'm still not sure what your point is. I mearly stated I had put a 2-7X32 shotgun scope on a 22 LR.

I chose the 2-7X32 scope over the same Nikon Prostaff scope in a 3-9 power with the parallax set at 100 yards. I wanted a scope with the parallax set at something less than 100 yards for the 22 LR cartridge, and I got it with the scope I bought.

Sorry I messed with your day by relating that.

-BCB

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a .22 LR

I like a fixed 6. I have one of the Burris compact fixed six with the adjustable objective. It is the predecessor to the HBR model. Works great. 100 yds is a long way for a .22 LR.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm still not sure what your point is. I mearly stated I had put a 2-7X32 shotgun scope on a 22 LR.

I chose the 2-7X32 scope over the same Nikon Prostaff scope in a 3-9 power with the parallax set at 100 yards. I wanted a scope with the parallax set at something less than 100 yards for the 22 LR cartridge, and I got it with the scope I bought.

Sorry I messed with your day by relating that.

-BCB
No, you did not mess with my day. I think your choice of scope is excellent.
It really was a joke, but not one that was directed at you. If I know someone who has to make a presentation in front of a group of people, I will tell them if you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS. I say the same thing about myself. I may have to meet with the boss and my coworkers will ask if I know what I am going to say and I respond, "If I can't dazzle them with brilliance then I will baffle them with BS.
Again, I was just being goofy. It was not directed at you.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
No, you did not mess with my day. I think your choice of scope is excellent.
It really was a joke, but not one that was directed at you. If I know someone who has to make a presentation in front of a group of people, I will tell them if you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS. I say the same thing about myself. I may have to meet with the boss and my coworkers will ask if I know what I am going to say and I respond, "If I can't dazzle them with brilliance then I will baffle them with BS.
Again, I was just being goofy. It was not directed at you.
If you don't want it to appear that your comments are directed at a specific individual, you might try not quoting that individual and then responding like you did.

Just for the record....you didn't coin the phrase you seem to like so well. And most people understand it very well. Even non-teachers.....

-BCB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts