Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an old style that I seldom use.
My next GPS will be one of those Rhinos. Really impressive.
The radio is nice, but what is really cool is that your hunting partner will show up on your screen too.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I've had an old Garmin 76 for at least 5-6 years, Fred, and it's still going strong. This was a fairly early model, so it doesn't have base street maps or topo maps. But it does have a little memory so I can save tons of waypoints and a reasonable number of routes and tracks. Gets me to and from my tree stands and my secret honey holes on the water. I don't know of any real knocks on Magellan, but my Garmin has been super reliable. Also, Garmin is a U.S. company and those who have had need to use customer service generally speak well of the experience.

As for options, there's a sensitivity thing called WAAS that you want, but I suspect it's a basic feature in all the newer units. Other than that, lots of memory is nice if you plan to download base maps from some of the mapping software that's available. That's the one thing you might look into is to pick out some computer mapping software you like, then make sure the GPS you pick is compatible with it. It's way cool to be able to plot a route on the computer, then download it into your GPS or vice versa.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
RINO 530,,,,a friend in the woods!!!

my brother in law [hunting partner for 30 years] and I both have the Garmin RINO 530 units. We USE the weather radio, 2 way radio, and of course the maps to find out where I want to go,,and how to get back!
I am ABLE to hunt so much differently now. I can walk into a large plot of woods and concentrate on deer sign, looking down at the ground a LOT. I used to HAVE TO look around to try and keep my bearings, missing some of what I came to look for. Looking down at sign,,or even blood trails can DISORIENT you!!! I don't know if you've ever been LOST, but it is no fun, and not safe.
Also, how often have you heard a shot, and wondered if you need to get down and help a friend with a deer? There's a LOT of work involved for us older geezers after we've climbed a tree with a portable climber and all the safety harnessing I now do. I DON"T want to find out it was somebody on the next deer lease that shot and not my brother in law! So,it is SO nice to radio him and ask. Also, IF it was him, he may say "let's wait,,it's cool enough to let the deer lay for a while-let's hunt another half hour before taking care of the one I just shot".
I would never go out without my GARMIN RINO 530.
I agree,,there are so many GPS units and that makes choosing one difficult.
I have a TOMTOM ONE in my work vehicle. It is very easy to use, but I think GARMIN has better road map and points of interest data.
I would suggest GARMIN for car or personal [the RINO].
DEFINATELY!!!
Once you get used to one, you won't be with out it.
Kinda like when people say the same about something like FAX machines - HOW DID WE EVER DO WITHOUT THEM!!?
Alan in GA

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good testimony for the GARMIN RINO 530. I'm sold. Where's the best prices?

·
Registered
299 Posts
How about screen size.?

.. I had Magellan a while back. As far as I could tell it was a good unit but back then I didn't use it much.. Now I'm thinking of another one for some other ventures.. I have DeLorme Topo s/w from a coupla years ago.. And I'd like very detailed maps of places I hunt.. The Rino's seem interesting.
..How about color monitors and screen size.? What would you guys that have them now do different.?
..The s/w seems pretty expensive and is almost a "hidden cost" if ya don't do your research.. The base maps I saw were pretty basic.. Suggestions.? Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
148 Posts
borrow one

and use it a couple of times just to see what it is like.

The link to GPS Info is a great link. There is more info there than you will be able to digest easily. There are a few features that are really important though.

1> Make sure it has a 12+ channel parallel receiver. This mean it receives from several satellites simulataneously and makes it much easier to get a position fix which requires three good satellite signals. The single channel receiver that set through the sat frequencies are slow. All three signal must scan twice in a row on the single channel models which makes them really hard to use in thick cover.

2> Research antennas. When I bought mine the Magellan Meridian Gold had one of the best. It's patch antenna and sevearl people reported it working really well even in the mountain forests. If the unit can't get a strong enough signal it won't get a fix.

3> Some, but not all, units allow the use of external power supplies and antennas. This makes it easier for some activities like driving and mapping but isn't all that useful for hunting.

4> Battery life. My Magellan Meridian only last about 6 hours of a set of batteries. Some other units have reported useful lives of 14 hours.

4> Map screens. If the unit don't have them don't buy it. You have to download topo maps from the manufacturers software. There have been some hacks that might work but I haven't used them so..

5> Color screen. Ain't necessary but after using a b&w one few a few years the color screens are easier to understand and get useful info from.

GO here before buying:
http://gpsinformation.net/

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You never said what you want to use it for. If it`s so you can find your way back out of the woods, or to a stand in the wood, or maybe back to where the fish were biteing yesterday all you need is the cheapest one you can find. I use the Garmin E-Trex for this. I bought another unit that has a map feacher for traveling. But for in the field the smaller the eayser it is to carry ect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.