Varmint Hunters Forum banner

What media do you use, Multiple choice available

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone used to clean their brass with....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I use a liquid brew that I got from here about two years ago. It is 2 oz RCBS liquid case cleaner, 1 cup Iosso, 1 cup vinegar, mixed in 128 oz water. I use it in my RCBS Sidewinder and even black military junk comes out like new. I even have folks paying me for the "goodies" to make this stuff and tumble/clean their brass. Not a bad deal. Brass that just needs a light cleaning I just put it in the juice and leave it for a couple of minutes and it looks new again. I have no abrasive residue to remove or put into the chamber of my guns, I have no primer pockets to pick media out of, I don't have media falling all over, just put the brass in the tumbler, cover with liquid, tumble about twenty minutes for the real dirty stuff, wash with clean water, put it in my little toaster oven at 150F and in 30 minutes- I'm ready to load. I get about 100- 3006 cases or several hundred pistol cases per round.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Media

If you like crushed Walnut, go to the Pet store and get bags of Lizzard Litter. Same stuff but cheaper.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Corn Media

Tumbling media drove me nuts when I was shooting a 17 rem. and 17 Tactical, trying to get the stuff out of the case after I had tumbled them. Then I found this "salt and pepper" treated corn media from Arms and Ammo it comes in 1 gal. milk jugs or you can buy pounds of it . Now the smallest caliber I reload is the 20 cals. but I still use the stuff as it pours out of the case so much easier. Just thought I would mention this for the smaller caliber shooters. FWIW.

Rodney

·
Registered
954 Posts
media

I used the crushed walnut for years but tried a bucket of treated corncob media a couple of years ago and am sold on the brighter corncob shine. I have a big homemade rotary drum tumbler so it probably works faster than a vibrating tumbler does.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Brasso

Brasso works great.
I don't know what it does, but it seems more corrosion resistant after I use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flash hole pain

For years I hated picking the large grains of media out of the primer flash hole in each case. I used a small allen wrench to "POKE" the large grains out
of each case. Then one day I found some "fine grind" walnut media....... I have been using that stuff ever since. I can't remember the brand name, but I bought enough to last me a long time. This stuff just pours out, no more poking. By the way, I use my old dirty media to fill my shooting bags......It works great and doesn't have mosture in it like sand will. It is also lighter to carry. Just my .02 cents worth......Don in SC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Brasso works great.
I don't know what it does, but it seems more corrosion resistant after I use it.
Do not use Brasso on cartridge cases, it weakens them!

If you want to shine up your cases use some Flitz in your media, Flitz doesn't weaken brass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Media

I've used the walnut and corn cob tumbling media from Midway for quite some time now. I revive it's attributes from time to time with their brass polish. FWIW.....Bob in Indiana

·
Registered
488 Posts
I use the Midway Walnut stuff with periodic polish added. During summer months I spread it out on newspaper and let the hot sun hit it to clean it up some.:D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Plain crushed walnut for me, does a great job combined with the brass polishing liquid from Midway.
Ken

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use walnut on nasty brass, but corn on just regular cleaning. I don't use any special cleaners, purchase some spray wax from walmart or local car parts store, 4-5 sprays will load the media fast with the wax, and cleans/ polishes as good as any I have seen

I have also been running my cases thru a ultrasonic bath of 1/4 cup vinegar, a touch of lemon juice, and rest water.. Thise clean inside, outside, and primer pocket to like new condition... I run them thru once more with a teaspoon of baking soda to 1 cup of water just to kill any acid left over. I have not found any case tumbling media that will come close to cleaning cases this way

picture worth a thousand words, you can tell the clean from dirty here, used ultrasonic cleaner for this

Clint

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have only used corn in the past. I use a friends tumbler and he prefers corn, so thats what I bought him for letting me use it when I want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts