Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
First gun was a rifle. Ruger M77 in 30-06. Interestingly it did not have integral scope rings.
First shotgun was a Winchester 1200, 12 gauge.
First handgun was a Ruger Security Six, blued, 6 inch barrel in 357.

Wasn't old enough to buy any of them so Dad did the paperwork. That was a long, long time ago.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
First rifle I purchased myself 1981 . Green Top Sporting Goods . Pat Hopkins sold me a Sako Deluxe 243 medium contour barrel . It was a shooter but I didn't realize it at the time I later sold this rifle for a New in the Box Browning Belgian 20 gauge vented rib IC choked shotgun.I shot a few 24's with the 20 but I couldn't get use to seeing that barrel move under recoil . That rifle was one I miss as well as a couple of others.
JW

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bought a 10-22 in 1964 from my earnings at the bowling alley in Hastings, MInnesota. I was 14. First walk in the door purchase was a Single Six when I was 22.

Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
6.5 Italian Carcano. Most worthless POS on the face of the earth. Every round of "cheap" Norma ammo went into the target sideways. Cost me $18 at Woolworths 48 years ago.

Reactions: bill61080

·
Registered
657 Posts
My first rifle that I bought in 1957 (was 13 hrs old) was a model 94 Winchester in 32 Win special from Montgomery Wards mail order catalog for $73. The rural mail man delivered it to me. I trapped pocket gophers all summer long for quarter apiece for the front feet bounty from the township. I rode my bike all over the whole township trapping gophers and I caught over 361 gophers to by that rifle. It Hangs over the kitchen door yet today. On the same nails Dads rifle hung.
after the rifle was bought and I got a couple boxes of shells from Coast to Coast I had enogh money to buy a used H&R Bay State 12ga single shot shotgun for $12.50.. Still got that one too.
Moral of the story!

That was a simpler time and the “Most Precious Treasures in Ones Life, are the ones you worked the hardest for”

May Gods Blessing be recieved by all of you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
First gun "purchase" was a Marlin Glenfield .22. I said "purchase" in quotes because I actually won it for selling rat bait in my Agriculture class at school. Could you imagine having a gun as a prize in a high school now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First firearm was a Ruger 10/22 from American Eagle back when they sold hunting and fishing goods. It was on sale for $79.00. Actually I bought two, as I bought one more for my younger brother. A lot of squirrels and rabbits fell to that 10/22. Two months later I bought a Ruger 77 in 6 Rem. Never shot a deer with it, but wacked a few woodchucks. 6 Rem makes a bloody mess out of a woodchuck, even with head shots. Also learned how to reload ammo with that rifle/cartridge.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My first gun bought was a replica Navy Colt 36cal cap & ball revolver. Man that gun was a hoot to shoot! Kitl 100s of skenks and a few snakes and zillions of tin cans. Loved every minute from melting lead and making bullets to loading and greasing the top of the balls in the chambers to prevent flash-overs, to BOOM cloud of smoke!

My LAST(?) gun is a Shiloh 1874 Creedmore Sharps (think Quigley Down Under) in 45-70 with a 34" bbl and vernier sights. If I can find a match load for it, I will bring it to the BBB.

I have let a few slip through my fingers that gives me pain every time I think about letting it go: the custom Rem Shop XP single shot, bolt action pistol in 7mm-08...(excuse me while I shed another tear), the Rem 1100 20ga w/ 3" chamber, (another tear!!). However, there was one POS that was a royal piece of junk from day one - a Winchester mo 190 semi-auto 22LR. That gun was a (to me) a piece of very disappointing junk. The best thing I did with it was trade it for a Ruger 10/22...(another tear!!!!).

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My First Rifle was an O3A3 Springfield in Cosmoline with a 6 groove Star Barrel bought in 1961. I still have it and that was 300+ Deer ago and a Dozen Elk or more plus Antelope and Sheep that it has stacked up for the Freezer. I just gave it to my Son and it will still be in use when I'm gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts