Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years, this forum was an active, vibrant forum, with plenty of people posting and sharing information.. Lately, the last year or so, it has become basically a weather forum, with a few prayers requests thrown in... Where are all the old guys that used to post about their prairie dog hunts and the long range shooting feats...

Seems like this forum is slowly dying out... That is a real shame.....

Dave

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Agreed. Though I have a wide variety of shooting interests, I loved coming here to get info and share a laugh. It seems some of the past contributors that had multiple posts per day have gone. Now it seems one can check the board in the morning, give the few new posts a quick scan and close it. Before there was something new thru-out the day. Partly I think it's due to the "big change" awhile ago, partly because there were a couple people that kept the pot stirred that are seemingly now gone. No cure from me, just noticed that myself also.

Steven

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Forum

The family has shrunk some and a couple of the more prolific posters have disappeared. I don't know why. A couple others have picked up some of the slack but we are a shadow of our former selves. That said, I'm not going anywhere as long as the forum exists. Made some good friends here and this is still the best way to keep in touch.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I saw three things happen.
1. One the varmint hunters organization went belly up. We all lost our membership money. There was no response at all from the head office, even the regional directors didn’t have any answers as to what was happening. A bunch of the members got a real sour taste in thief mouth and didn’t want anything to do with the organization. I guess they thought it was still part of the organization that took their money and run and in no way did they want any more involvement.
2. The board was sold to a larger media company. There was hardly any discussion between the new owners and those using the board. Then there was the password snafu and they could get on the board and again the owners were next to impossible to contact. A lot of those using the board left.
3. This last election divided everyone up. There were lots of fights, name calling and downright hateful discourse. This too caused people to quit coming to the board. There were rules about political discussions, no one abided by them and their were no moderators to enforce them. Result was a lot of people left.

Thats what I saw happen, some may agree with me some won’t agree with me. I like this board and like you mentioned there were new posts all day long, and the threads were longer. It a very slow board now and there are some great people here, they are helpful, have a lot of knowledge but we don’t seem to posess the ability to revitalize this board.
Don’t give up on the board yet and my you have a target rich future.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ky. Fisherman... Maybe that is what the board needs, a little eye candy once in a while... I miss old VOLDOC and his cronies.. They use to add a bit of spice to the reading... I know we are all getting older and probably, a lot of us don't see eye to eye on somethings, but we are all brothers in this great fraternity, and even though our country is getting divided, we don't have to....

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Mikey, I’ve never seen anything like that in a dog town. Where the heck have you guys been going? 😀

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
That brought a smile, Dave. Some years ago, Voldoc posted a picture of one of the Volkittens who looked so much like one of my nieces that her sister thought it was. I’ll never forget that or the trips to the Dasher Dome, Moonshine Mtn, and Buck Creek. Every shooter should be so lucky. Holding on!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Skruske?

Scott where did you say you where shooting prairie dogs at? I can’t hear you, you are breaking up!:D

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Forgot to post earlier, but last weekend I saw a news article that said Kate Upton is with child. Wonder what Birdog would think about that??

·
Registered
293 Posts
Forums are losing people posting everyday. Doesn't matter if it's a gun forum, hunting forum, car forum, truck, tractors, lawn and garden, etc, they've all seen a major drop in attendance. A lot of it is due to the smart asses that know better than anyone regardless of how insane their opinion might be. And of course their opinion is fact regardless of how much proof you show them they're wrong. Folks come for help and info and all they get is crap like "do you know what the search button is for?" or just the opposite of what someone posted. Didn't see a lot of that here but people aren't logging into forums anymore. It ends up being more hassle than it's worth. My forum time is down probably 75%. I'd rather watch a movie on the internet than argue with a clueless moron. Movies are fun, morons aren't.
Anybody remember MySpace? It was popular at one time. I'm not sure it's still around. Facebook is seeing folks drop out too. The forums days are numbered I'm afraid to say but everything says it was a fad that is doomed to go away.

·
Administrator
3,041 Posts
Myself I get on once every day the same as I do the other forums I go to. I start the Good Morning thread and read the previous days posts.

The rest of day is spent fixing computers, fishing, shooting depending on the time or the year varmint hunting or ruffed grouse and woodcock hunting. I have no reason to want to be on the forums all day.

My Space made me a lot of money back in the day I believe it no longer exists Facebook replaced it.

Yes politics can cause a lot of problems and for that reason I don't feel they have any place on hunting and shooting forums. I have no use for discussing politics with anyone, I vote for whomever I like no matter what party they are affiliated with. If someone doesn't like it, TS! One forum I use to visit some now the only thing keeping it going is about ten, twelve people who discuss politics all day and if you happen to disagree with them heaven help you.

I generally keep my opinions about guns and shooting to myself, there are those who are way more knowledgeable than I and I respect their opinions. There are those who feel they know more than I and everyone else and I feel they have their right to their opinion right or wrong.

I feel a lot of people who bemoan the lack of participation on boards need to do their part in making a board more active.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Forums are losing people posting everyday. ... Folks come for help and info and all they get is crap like "do you know what the search button is for?" or just the opposite of what someone posted. ... I'd rather watch a movie on the internet than argue with a clueless moron. Movies are fun, morons aren't.
I think Trapper wraps it up pretty well with those observations. I do think the "F this forum!" swing very definitely was triggered by politics, starting with the 2016 presidential primaries. There was little civil discussion and lots of yelling, finger-pointing, name-calling and obscenities (elsewhere, not so much here). People who left one forum angry tended to reduce participation in all of them.

I'm like Doug, though, here for the long haul. Some of our most active newcomers only remember this being a really busy, lively forum. For a long time it was the first place I went to buy or sell because the Classifieds forum was really active. But old guys like Greyfox, myself and a few others were here when this forum was just born. Many, many wonderful friendships would never have happened if this board hadn't existed.

If activity and members on GoGo grow, great. If the activity stays about like it is, great. Folks on those less friendly shooting forums will eventually find us here, and we need to make them welcome, as we have for years.

Amen.

Carpman

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I for one fit in the "used too" category. I taught Hunter Ed for 35 years, competed in indoor smallbore position shooting, trap, skeet, sporting clays. I hunted all type of game from Ducks in ND to Bear upper Ontario. Now health reasons tie me to varmint only. But the big difference of this board is that I've met some , eaten lunch with, shared personal stories, even watched families grow up. Don't think you can say that about any other forum. Enough said. Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yep this board is dying a slow death. The Birdog
and Doc Stone disappeared for reasons of their own,
while Don M has gone to be w/God. There are probably
50 or more that got fed up when the board was forced into
a so-called security revamp and they apparently couldn't
or wouldn't go through the hassle of getting back on board.
If we lost members for political reasons, they must have
been supporting an ANTI-GUN candidate.

It is what it is. LDS

1 - 20 of 42 Posts