Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We saw four bobcats on Saturday night's hunt, but the white light spooked them. Where can I find red lenses for our nightlights? I've looked in Cabela's.
Anybody?

6mmRemington

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
how big are your lenses?

I use a Browning Ballistic flashlight for fox hunting at night. We went to Walmart and bought red "John Lennon" style round sunglasses for about $2 and take the lenses out. Tape a lens to the front of the light and you're good to go. Our local Walmart didn't have them though, last time I checked. The ones we have are about 1 1/4" in diameter and fit our flashlights perfectly.

What we've done in the past is cut glass lenses and "painted" them red with a red magic marker. Go over them once, let dry and go over again in a different direction. Make sure you have NO visible white light shining thru. Then take clear packing tape and tape them to the light.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Try an Arts Supply Store

Nightwalkers are also sensitive to white light , so I bought some Red Plastic sheet and cut it to match my Flashlight Lens . They also had Red "Cellophane " Tape which I used to hold the Plastic onto the Flashlight , but I suppose you could just apply the Tape to the Flashlight Lens until you get full coverage . For your purpose , the Red Tape might be the easiest way to go . BTW , the human Eye is most sensitive to 555 milli-microns , so it may work best to use a Yellow/Green Filter . Red works good for Nightwalkers ,but then I'm only a few feet away from them . However , I have no idea if Yellow/Green Light would spook your Prey ??? :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Red lens

Just like xring I went to a local store that carrys plastics and bought a small piece for less than $4. Took out the original lens and scribed around it onto the new plastic and used my sander to trim it. Replaced the original lens with the red one. Works really well for a cost effective light. But I'd really like a Nightforce like PH has with the intensity control switch.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Check out an office suppy or teacher's store like TAPS (TAPS may be a local store) They should have colored overhead transparencies. You can cut out the correct size. Also, Lee dies come in a clear, plastic, container. Q Beam used to sell a red cover for their spotlights. Blue is good also.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Check out an office suppy or teacher's store like TAPS (TAPS may be a local store) They should have colored overhead transparencies. You can cut out the correct size. Also, Lee dies come in a clear, plastic, container. Q Beam used to sell a red cover for their spotlights. Blue is good also.
I need to learn to type faster:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go to China-Mart

Funny you should post this today, I just got back from buying a light at Chinamart(Wallyworld). Brinkman Q-Beam 2 million cp. Has spot or flood. Will need to make a strap to hold it on flood. Comes with Red, Blue and I don`t remember what other color lenses that snap in nice. $32 or $37 or close to that.

I`ll make a tripod for the "Project light" and report back.
Comes with two bigass rechargable battries and a plug for the truck too.
Way brighter than I need but the plus is that with the red lense, a bright light goes farther than a weak one with red. The flood option seems to create a good quality "Halo". Don`t "beam" them, just lower the light enough to hit them with the edge of the halo.
Headed out now, will report back if the longtails don`t eat us. If we don`t report back, check the Mountian Lions website www.weeatfatoldmen.com and look to see if they have me on the meatpole.:eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Coat Your Own.....

You can use Red Dykem (metal layout ink), to coat your lenses. Takes on the average 2 coatings and will not dislodge like a makeshift lense. Also will not warp as some plastic will under the warmth of the light.

Dykem can be found at nearly any supply joint that supports machine shops.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Mike drop me a e-mail..I have a red lens and would be more than willing to take care of those cats for you....A GPS location would be nice:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
What type of light???

What kind of light do you have? There once was a company called "nite lite", I think it changed to huntsmart.com ...... They had a lot of gear for night time hunting, **** hunting with dogs and so on. Try that, it's about the best I can do.
Bob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We saw four bobcats on Saturday night's hunt, but the white light spooked them. Where can I find red lenses for our nightlights? I've looked in Cabela's.
Anybody?

6mmRemington
In my Cabela's catalog, they show some flashlights with red/blue/yellow lens cover options. These are LED lights, some fairly strong, like 150 to 300 Lumen rated. That would work out to 250+ yards. Let me know if you want the page number. (catalog is out in the truck right now :rolleyes: )

Or Google up the word Optronics, they sell them for their lights.

If you are using a big hand-held spotlight, I would just paint the lens red with dykem, or cut a piece of red lexan to fit it. Or better yet, wait to see Bears report on the new Brinkman rig.

That is, if he survives the ordeal.:eek: :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a roll of red transparent wrapping paper., I used two layers on my million candlelight power light. If you were using it for shorter ranges you could add more layers to cut down on light transmission.

There are lots of other great ideas posted above as well!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just use a red "Marks-A-Lot" permenant marker. I've been painting my lenses with them for years, and they work great. On a brighter spotlight like 1,000,000,000 CP or higher it takes a few seperate coats to get a nice deep red light, but it holds up to all kinds of abuse, and if you decide to go back to plain white light, just a swab with alchohol cleans it completely back off with very little trouble.

DON'T USE A SHARPIE!!! The ink in a Sharpie marker actually has a fine residue in it, and also, it'll etch a plastic lense making it so cloudy it'll be unusable. Look for the plastic Marks-A-Lot markers.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Just head down to your local surrplus store and pick yourself up a military 90* flashlight it comes with red green and blue filters in the base. if you are using a light that small then you do not have to to all that cutting and shaping. I know they fit my D-cell maglight.

They look like this. http://www.solar-kingdom.com/products/military-flashlight.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts