Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Of course you know it's a Trick question....
The short bullet in the Left is a 55g bullet 5.56 caliber.
The LONG bullet on the Right weighs 50 g.
I know some of you "smart people" have it figured out. "The Skruske" said the long one was probably Sintered metal which is not Lead core.
So.
I sawed one in half with a hack saw.

Indeed the center of the bullet seems to be some sort of copper powder bonded with something. When you scratch it, it appears copper colored inside.

The German Army used bullets like this in their Strurmgewehr 44 the first Assault Rifle ever. Damsoviets never "Invented" the AK 47....they just made a few changes to the Stg 44.... they always copied everything or stole the technology to make whatever they chose.

This is a photo of a WW2 era box containing ammo for the Stg 44.

The long bullet in question is from the company AmericanReloading.com and they function perfectly well in an AR 15.
Accuracy test later, I got busy on a fence and never got any more loaded.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a tracer bullet. I had some 30-06 tracers that looked similar. Let us know how they do.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Ran onto some .40 S&W ammo with sintered metal bullets a while back. The brand is Sinterfire. They called them frangible self-defense rounds. Shot a few on steel plates. They went bang - clang.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Here you go Carl P. The Army used a .50cal tracer and a .50cal spotter tracer.
The spotter tracer was used as an aiming means atop the 106mm recoilless rifle. You observe the tracer going down range and the spotter would blow on the target if the sights, .50cal, and 106 recoilless were zeroed. Then the 106 was sent down range. This was a weapon used by our infantry, heavy weapon guys.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go Carl P. The Army used a .50cal tracer and a .50cal spotter tracer.
The spotter tracer was used as an aiming means atop the 106mm recoilless rifle. You observe the tracer going down range and the spotter would blow on the target if the sights, .50cal, and 106 recoilless were zeroed. Then the 106 was sent down range. This was a weapon used by our infantry, heavy weapon guys.
I have often wondered why the Army (Pentagon) got away from thos RRifles.
Maybe because they weren't HiTech enough and were replaced by Rocket launchers which cost 100 times as much? Thinking AT 4 and Javelin.

·
Registered
842 Posts
JR….you been posting on here for years about how poor you were…..BS….anybody that can cut a couple of bullets in haif has to be flaunting his wealth
AND
paying someone else to stick a thermometer up Otis’ @%%.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
The M40 was effective for only about a mile. I should hope the Javelin and others have a greater range than that. I thought anything over a mile was the responsibility of artillery units anyway, I was never in one of those. I was never qualified in infantry heavy weapons either but we worked together.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got around to firing a few rounds of those bullets thru an AR 15 and they didn't do real well. About a 3 inch group at 100 yd, but myself and conditions were not doing well. I DID confirm that the mystery metal inside is indeed Copper. Here is a photo of the metal plate at 215 yd. You can see Copper Splashes where the bullets hit.
The Divots were caused by .204 rounds and you can see how much more Power they have.

Due to intense ridicule, I Did Kinda Clean my AR 15, now it don't shoot Fershit. But I may need to try again another day as I am not doing well today doin anything
20210717_133919.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
The M40 was effective for only about a mile. I should hope the Javelin and others have a greater range than that. I thought anything over a mile was the responsibility of artillery units anyway, I was never in one of those. I was never qualified in infantry heavy weapons either but we worked together.
There is also responsibility on the weapon manufacturer. How powerful it is designed in the arms factories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts