Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ben looking at 22LR bolt rifles. Had a Ruger 77/22, not really impressed with the rifle. Thinking of a Kimber, but I'm open to others, what do ya'll suggest?

Some of my other options would be CZ452, Browning T-bolt, A-bolt, or a Rem 541 (if I find one). Really looking for a nice fit, finish, and "centerfire" feel.

Thanks,
sab-

·
Registered
626 Posts
Check out the Remington Model 504.. When they first came out, there were a few QC problems, but Remington has apparently got those problems straightened out.. Very sharp looking rifles..

Dave

·
Registered
720 Posts
22 bolt guns

My experience with more than one Ruger 77/22 has been that they are poor in the accuracy department.
Sharp looking gun & I like the rotary clip, but I can keep inaccurate rifles.
I have had excellent luck with two Kimbers.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
You might look at the Remington Model 5.....

I recently bought one and after mounting a 2-7X32 Nikon shotgun scope with the standard NikoPlex reticle on it (parallex free at 75 yards), I found that it is very accurate. The main reason I bought it was the "big rifle" feel it had when I first picked it up.

The action was a little rough in cycling cartridges from the magazine originally, but it smoothed right up, and I'm very happy with it. Enough so that I'm going to give up on my three year quest to get a stainless Ruger 77/22 in 22LR to shoot well.

I've wasted enough time and 22 ammo on the Ruger to last a life time.... And the price was very good on the Model 5, I thought. Incidently, the Model 5 is a product of the Remington/Zastava marriage.

It's nothing to compare to a Kimber or an Anshcutz, but neither is the price. I think the one I have is going to make a very nice, acurate plinking rifle that will get a lot of use.

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
785 Posts
22 bolt guns

I had one of the early 504's, it made 2 trips back to Rem before I sold it. Next 2 owners didn't keep it long either. CZ 452's aren't bad but the trigger design requires updating, ie adjustable sear, the spring/shim cure is a bandaid for a poor design, fit and finish is average. Anschutz 64's are just about surefire shooters, great fit and function, kinda stodgy in apperarance, but you won't be outshot. Kimber of NY's, pretty nice but up there in price, quality sometimes iffy, seems they get a lot of bad press because of their price and customer service can be a pain. Coopers are the cream of the crop but you'll pay for it. To me the best deal out there in a full size 22 is finding one of the Winchester or Browning 52B Repro's. You can find them for 6-650.00 NIB, they'll never go down in value and they're the most bang for the buck. Other than the 504 I currently own 1 or more of the rifles I just listed and I consider the Winnie 52B repro to be the best of the group, not the best looking, just the best. Honestly any discussion about 22 bolt guns really should be qualified by price range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have cooper lvt my brother has a kimber hunter both shoot real well the kimber cost less and would make a nicer carrying rfle

·
Registered
142 Posts
22 bolt action

I heard on Rimfire Central that the 504 is discontinued in 2007. I have bought used Anshutz in both 17HMR and 22lr and have been very pleased with them. Both are the 64 action, but they also have a 54 olympic action that is more expensive. I had a Rem 541 HB T but found it very tempermental.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
22s

Many years ago myself and four friends ordered 5 Ruger 77/22s . They were all very nice as far as wood and metal were concerned but had horrible Triggers . In those days we sent them all back to Ruger and got great triggers back . Those days are gone , but I test fired all five ( 5 shots 50 Yards ) and got groups under 0.50 inches with select Ammo. Didnt like the Win 52 Repros because of that darn Bolt which required stilt high Rings , and Browning would not fix the horrible Trigger : they said it was In-Spec . Rem 541S or one of the 541 Target Variations are very accurate if you can live with that cheap Plastic Magazine . I passed up a 541 Light Target with Super Wood ( bought a BR Custom Ruger which was awful ) and still kick myself today . The Old Browning Tbolts were very accurate and had great wood . Hard to beat a CZ today . If you look around you can find unbelieveable wood , and the Trigger can be improved with a $15 Brooks Kit or just buy the set trigger Model . Most of the CZs I've seen had nice wood and metal at 1/4 the price of a Cooper . I have a Cooper that does not eject empties well . Cooper is very good on making things right , I just have to send it in for a quick adjustment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great comments, thanks for the help.

To those with Kimbers, where are you buying from? I had a very good contact in a local dealer, but due to some health problems closed his shop.:(

sab-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gotta add my 2 cents worth here. I own several Coopers, one CZ, one Ruger and have shoot just about many different types. Have owned Rugers 77/22's in lr and mag, Annies, CZ's, Brownings etc in 17 MII, 17 HMR, 22LR, 22 mag.

I cant go the Kimber route due to accuarcy issues. Kimbers are in my experiance are hit and miss in the accuracy dept. Coopers are guaranteed 1/4" groups at 50 yards and they back that up. Fit and finish is top drawer, great trigger and American made. They are spendy but I think about the same as a Kimber. A regular Model 57 in 22 lr from Cooper is hard to beat for a great looking, high end, quality rifle that will last a life time. Their service is second to none. I think you would be safer to buy the Cooper and get the lifetime guarantee.

There are several dealers that I could recommend if you want to discuss this further drop me a PM. Everybody has their own favorites and I don't want to start any wars.

Wes

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
22lr bolt rifle

Look no further than the CZ American or Lux. Find the ammo it likes and you'll be happy for sure. Mine has an affinity for CCI Mini Mags in either solid or hollow points. Excellent shooter. WD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Custom Ruger 22

Cntrmass , I'm guessing you're asking about the Custom Ruger 22 I had . It's hard to tell with this new Format and I have not figured out how to Post exactly after the Post I want to reference ( can this be done ??? ) . Anyway , that Ruger was a real beauty . Had a bright Blue Fiberglass Stock , a short Bull Barrel with Tuner , and a nice Trigger . It was also one of the most inaccurate 22s I have owned , and believe me , I tried every brand of Ammo I have ....and that is a whole lot . I also tried all sorts of adjustments on the Barrel Tuner ....nothing worked . I don't keep any 22 that won't group 5 shots into less than 0.50 inches at 50 Yards , and that Ruger 22 is long gone , and the only thing I have left from it is the Bull Barrel Tuner ...... which I should sell once I find it again . What really bugged me is that all 5 of those Factory Ruger 22s ( with the Factory re-worked Triggers ) would easiy outshoot that Custom ! Yep , sometimes the Bear gets you !

·
Registered
870 Posts
Kimber

I had a Kimber HS that would throw a flier every 6 or 7th shot. It went back to kimber three times and each time they took it out of the stock placed it in a machine rest and said it was fine. I sold the rifle, shame cuz it sure had a nice piece of wood on it. I have owned three Anschutz all shot like a house on fire. I currently own a 1712 that is out of this world. I also own a CZ 452 American that shoots as well as the Anschutz at a third the price, but the trigger required some work and the bolt tends to bind. If I wanted to stay under 1K I would seriously look at an Anschutz 1400 series rifle, my brother in-law bought a lefty and it is scary accurate, makes me sad I spent the money on a 1700. Plus the triggers are adjustable on the 1400's.

Pat

http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts