Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying an Encore & not sure about which finish to go with...
I would go Stainless but the TC offering looks to be more of a carbon steel barrel with (electroplated?) finish.

I have a CVA (in line muzzle loader) that has a similar looking SST finish, and the barrel was getting rusty just sitting in the rack, where the barrel was contacting the wood rack? (removed form the action)

Where I live (great lakes region) is very humid, especially in summer of course, but I expected the CVA finish to stand up better than that. Wondering if the TC Stainless finish is worth the extra $, or if I might as well stick to the blued version...

Any comments on the durability of the TC Encore stainless finish?
thanks in advance for your input !!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Craig,

You may pay a little more dollars at first but I think down the road you would be happier with a SS finish. I have Contenders but wish all were SS, easier to care for and I think the look good.

Joe

·
Registered
416 Posts
Encore finish?

The T/C G2 and Encores do NOT have a SS finish; they ARE made of stainless steel throughout! You must be thinking of or referring to the old Armour Alloy finish that is no longer made and has not been availabel for quite a number of years now. I have a T/C/ Contender and an Encore and both are solid SS and have never had a problem with 'rust' or moisture concerning them. Same with the SS barrels: NO PROBLEMS! Blue barrels, yes, they require normal maintenance as all firearms do. Darrel

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Craig, personal preference

Craig, I think you'll find the SS frame of the Encore to be more durable than the CVA plated finish. Modern Stainless Steel Firearms are not maintance free firearms. They will still rust if left neglected for a period of time. I found that out the hard way years ago. I kept a SS rifle in my "behind the seat" rack in my pick-up. I worked afternoon shift at the factory and would leave a couple hours early to walk several fields of several farms that dotted the route that I took to work. I'd walk the humid afternoon, stick the rifle back in the rack and go to work. After about a week of that, one day I took that rifle out of the rack to bring it in the house and there was rust all over my prized 22. I changed the finish on that rifle that very afternoon. A scotch-brite pad with oil turned the bright finish into a brushed look finish. The rust was gone, but the shiny finish was too. I still have that 22 and still like the brushed look, but rest assured, SS will rust if you don't keep your gun finish, finger print free.
NOW, YOUR ANSWER: I like the Stainless frame. I have a Stainless Encore frame, and if you like contrast, you can add a black stock/forearm, a black barrel, black rings, silver scope, whatever. Works for me.

or,

Good Luck with your decision.
Bill..............................

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My Encore frame and barrels are blued, if I was to do it all over again I would choose stainless steel for the looks only. The blued frame and barrels have never had any problems with rust if they are maintained properly. So, go with the one that looks best to you, both will serve you for a life time.

What part of Ontario? My wife is from Bothwell, rest of the in-laws are in London.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not to disagree with Darrel.

I don't mean to disagree with Darrel. The SS is much, much better than the plated finish. What I had rust was a SS thru and thru, but I neglected it. It rusted. I won't make that mistake again.
Hope we are clear Darrel. My fault that mine rusted.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think the blued guns look fine....but there's just something about stainless that screams "LOOK AT HOW PRETTY I AM"

Sorry I don't have any good pictures....but I just took these as a poor example of how they look.

Oh yeah, don't mind the cheap bases, cheap rings and cheap scope....They actually work pretty well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts