Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get something that is the power of a CCI CB cap but in a long rifle round. Who makes something that is quiet and accurate? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Aguila may have something for you

to consider, it's called "Colibri". I believe it comes in two flavors, one for sure uses a 20 gr pill, uses priming compound for around 325 fps if I remember correctly. I think they have one either more or less powerful, the hot shot being the Super Colibri. As far as accuracy, I have no experience nor have I read anything on them - accuracy report.

If you google up Aguila, you can probably fill in the blanks.

JUst to get everyone on the same page, if it is in the CB cap family, I feel sure it will be subsonic. Whereas a lot of mfrs produce subsonic ammo which is still around 1100fps............OK, just crunched 740mph which I think is sos at sea level, but close enough if not, and that is 1085fps. A lot of std vel 22 ammo is at or under this, some are labeled sub sonic.

What sub sonic means is the projectile is not breaking the sound barrier, giving the "crack" to the report. You will still have noise that would require a suppressor to dissapate. This may be going in a different direction than what you intended so toss out what you don't need.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to get something that would not be too loud. I want to hunt squirels and not make a bunch of noise so I can get mutiple shots at few of them before they know what is going on.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Around here (KY) the favored subsonic stuff seems to be the RWS stuff. It's pricier than Remington's stuff, but a lot more consistent. None of the pop, pop, pop, boom, pop, pop, boom stuff. My rifles shoot the Remington stuff okay, but sometimes, it's hardly "subsonic".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I am not mistaken a Long is diffrent than a long rifle? If I rember right it is shorter than a 22 LR but I may be wrong on this. The reason I am looking for this is I dont want to do any damage to my CZ it shoots so well I am worried that If I shoot shorts or longs in a long rifle it may damage the chamber? If I am wrong on this please corret me. I just dont want to do any damage because this is the first "nice" gun I have ever had and it shoots like a dream!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would like to get something that is the power of a CCI CB cap but in a long rifle round. Who makes something that is quiet and accurate? Thanks for the info
As Don said... CCI makes a "CB Cap" in a long rifle case, called the "CB Long".

No powder, just primer, same bullet as the CB Cap, and will feed through a magazine, Tube or "clip".

They will NOT damage any firearm.

Very quiet in a rifle barrel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks that is what I am looking for just thought that it might be the old 22 long and not a 22 long rifle. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most match ammo.

Match ammo is usually loaded to subsonic levels. Bad things happen to accuracy when the bullet crosses the line from sonic to subsonic. At one time if you didn't shoot Eley ammo you didn't win rimfire matches. My Anchutz really likes the CCI green tag ammo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like this CZ and cant wait to pop a few squirels with it. I just want to do it quite so I can get a pot load full!

·
Registered
270 Posts
My favorite is the RWS Subsonic. I've used this with great success in a Browning 10" varmint pistol and my 541-c. Both guns shoot it quite well and is nice and quiet. Another neat load is the Aguila Sniper Subsonic, it has a 60 grain bullet (yes 60) it may be a bit louder but will pack a punch.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Subsonic 22s

A while back I bought some German Sub-Sonic 22s to pop some pesky Pigeons. They were way too loud for the location . I tried some Remington which were much quieter , but still too loud for the neighborhood . Accuracy of either Brand at 50 Yards was in the 1-2 inch Range whereas several rifles I own group 5 shots under 1/2 inch with a lot of High Velocity and Target Loads .

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have some of the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri. Both boxes say Sans Powder (no powder) 20 gr. bullets and both rounds look identical, not sure what the diff is, must be the primer.

I do know that these shoot quite well from my 10" Contender, accurate out to 30-40 yds. But they shoot terrible from a rifle, I can only guess that they are loseing velocity rapidly in a rifle barrel? These work great for small flying pests that are sitting on your "pretty bird" feeder and close range gophers or chipmunks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the Aguila Super Colibri. It is around 525 fps and has a pointed 20 gr. bullet resembling an air rifle pellet. They are less noisy than the action of my Marlin bolt rifle. I have a 50' wide lot in town with a 6' fence. The pecan trees draw tree rats like a magnet and the two story house pulls in the flying ones. No problems for the last several years using these. A little noisy in a short barrel but with a rifle length barrel less than a hand clap. Just watch your background so you don't throw a pellet too far.
Brian

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks that is what I am looking for just thought that it might be the old 22 long and not a 22 long rifle. Thanks everyone!

The .22 Long has the same case length as the .22 Long Rifle -- but with a lighter weight bullet. It's the 22 Short that has the "short" case. In the past the Long round had a bullet weight of around 30 grains. I've used the CCI CB Long in both rifles and hand guns. They are quieter than most Long Rifles and might work for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts