Votes: 96 85.7%
  • No I leave the bolt up.

Votes: 16 14.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Similar habit as Jim

Once Im settled down on the stand, I chamber a round quietly, and then engage the safety while calling or waiting and sitting.

If the stand does not produce... I empty the chamber before standing up.

But even when the safety is on, I never trust it. :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If you meant while hunting.......yes, to that too. Why wouldn't you put the safety on?
Well, I'll tell ya why...If you use it, it gives you a false sense of security. Those of us that are long time Remington fans have heard the horror stories, but such stories are not limited to Rems either.

If you don't use it, you're forced to keep the chamber empty, or when sitting on a stand, leaving the bolt handle up...NEVER giving a "so called safety" a chance to...NOT be so safe, is truly the only safe rifle, IMO.

I've never had a gun go off w/ the safety engaged, but I had a Win 190 22LR rip off and entire magazine when I clicked the safety off - nearly took my hunting buddies toes off! Call me paranoid, but I swore then I would never trust safeties, and take extra precautions (which I have done since). Like I told my son when he first started riding a motorcycle...Just pretend NOBODY on the road sees you. You ride as tho you were invisible - never giving others on the road the opportunity to harm you because they "didn't see you". It works for rifles too. I never let them put me in that spot.

I dunno...Walking around with a rifle, cocked and locked makes me nervous. I might feel differently hunting a Griz or where something might pounce on me. But, PDs and yotes...nah.

P.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reasons above are why I like guns with hammers. You have to cock the hammer. I realize hammers can be accidently cocked but I feel the safest with a hammer with a drop bar. I detest semiautos as once you take off safty,if you trip or anything it will go off as many times as you bump the trigger. My son is in a AR-15 craze,sure hope he outgrows it soon.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Same as Paul, if I'm hunting pd's, I don't put a cartridge in the chamber unless I'm intending to shoot. If for some reason I don't shoot, I remove the cartridge.

When deer hunting, I use single shot hammer rifles. When target shooting, the bolt doesn't even go in unless the range is hot. No problem with safeties, but if there's no "go-bang" in the hole, it won't go bang.

Rick

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had the experience that Paul mentioned happen to me. A prominent local gunsmith did a trigger job on my Remington 22-250, and while coyote hunting, I pushed the safety off and BOOM! Luckily, the bbl was pointed in a safe direction. I always use the safety while hunting. While pd shooting, I don't load until I'm ready to shoot.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes and no. Like others the bolt stays open when shooting Prarie dogs until I am ready to fire, but deer or predator hunting the rifle is loaded and ready to go with safety on.

Mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm parinoid too!

As Paul had mentioned, Remington safetys are not 100% foolproof! My bro and law and I were walking down a fire road side by side in deer season many moons ago. We both were observing safe gun handling fortunately. I was on the left with my Rem 700 cradled in my arms with the muzzle pointing left (away from him) when all the sudden it went off! Me being shorter than him, if the rifle was pointed his way I'd have blown his head off at a distance of 3 feet!
It rattled me so bad I gathered myself together and we went home. I have no idea how or why it went off. The safety was still on! I still shake when I think about it today.
It was brutally cold that day and I had heavy gloves on. I can't imagine how but I had to have massaged the trigger somehow. The first thing I did after gathering my wits is look at the safety, it was indeed on. This particular rifle is an early 70's one that when the safety is on, the bolt is locked shut.
Unless I am walking in the deer woods where I feel that a quick shot on a deer coming up is a great possibility, I walk with my rifles empty. And of course I keep a good eye on where that muzzle is pointing!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I alway keep my guns pointed in a safe direction and never asumb that the safty will work for sure. Also none of my rifles have factory triggers in them.
You can't get them set where I want them and still have a safe trigger, so I replace them with safer triggers that can be set where I want them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I actually do both... When shooting from a table I leave the bolt open and do not chamber a round until it's time to shoot. Once that is done, if the opportunity is missed, I will raise the bolt up, and depending on the weather, I'll remove the round.
On a deer hunt or a predator hunt, I will chamber a round and put the safety on, When I know I'm leaving an area for good, I will take the round out of the chamber. Occasionally I will also chamber a round while walking on smooth terrain and leave the bolt up. Mind you that all of my guns operate properly with the safety on, but I do NOT really trust the safety. In my eyes the BOLT IS THE SAFETY. Sam

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I always use it. I think to think of them as a false sense of security is silly. ALL safe handling rules should be used ALL the time, including engaging the safety when appropriate.

If you follow all the other rules, when something does go wrong, you should be safe, like Norm explained very well. I had a friends 7mm Remy go off in my hands when I clicked the safety off. It was pointed in a safe direction. I was inside a trailor putting all the rifles up and he handed me his with the bolt closed. Bullet went through the propane tank outside.

We ran like scared kids and when he grinned and said "Yeah it does that a lot" I completely lost it. Later after I had calmed down a bit, I told him if he didn't get that thing in the shop quick, I would never hunt with him again. And I never have!

Obviously you cannot depend on a safety if mishandling a firearm, but if you are not following safe handling rules, you are being stupid and no safety in the world will help you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The only true safety on a rifle is the one that resides between your ears.
I agree

and unloaded guns kill way more people by accident than loaded ones do

I use the safety, after seated as others here, I don't trust it. I always treat the gun like it's loaded, my fear is an unloaded gun and always has been... The only way I trust a gun is for the bolt to be out... that goes for rem's, win's, anything

Clint

·
Registered
446 Posts
To use or not to use a safety..

.. well that depends entirely on what I'm shooting/hunting. When hunting, walking or setting or watching or waiting, I'll chamber a round set the saftey upon enter the hunting area. Now shooting PD's and such off a bench the bolt stays open until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

.. I will NEVER fully trust both action safeties, and especially Remington model 700's. On three occasions bolt rifles have discharged unexpectedly, two M700's and one Ruger M77. No harm done since I ALWAYS keep the muzzle in a safe direction. One of the Remington events was my fault, the trigger was set too light, but the other two occasions the rifles were untampered factory settings.

Lets hear it for the Win M70 Wing Style Safety...hip hip hooray!!!

Remember this- the firing pin in most bolt actions 'float' even with the saftey set to the safe position, and if the gun is dropped (especially in the muzzle up orientation) there's a very good chance it will discharge. This is why you NEVER insert a cleaning rod and tap the end attempting to unlodge a loaded round with the bolt closed and resting against the head of a live round!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.