Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
typed this up for an archery forum,,,thought I'd post it hear,,worth reading!

NEW LAND TO HUNT,,~!!~,,,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brother in law and I went to a very rural county to hunt a piece of land we had just gotten an invite to. It had been 'logged' so only a few small creeks had mature trees on them. Walked in with rifles and climbing stands on our backs. Went about 1/2 mile from truck. Looked around and saw great deer sign. My brother in law and I split up about 200 yards and each of us picked out a tree to climb,,,,then hunted until dark,,,,DARK!
Can you see where this is going??
Tried to walk out after packing up the climber. Was doing fine until I walked AROUND a pile of logs. Problem was, I was not sure in the dark, just where 'half way around' the log pile was!?
Got lost for about 5 or 10 minutes,,and that was TOO LONG,,what a bad feeling that is!
Finally got oriented and back to the truck. Waited til about 30 minutes after total darkness wondering where my BIL was. Finally I see this flashlight way back down the dirt road entering the property. I figure he is finally on his way here. Looked back up after 10 minutes and no BIL. I see his light FARTHER AWAY! I stood high up on a nearby hill with my SUREFIRE flashlight and guide him in. He was LOST, too!
Next week he called me over to his house. Showed me his new GARMIN RINO 530 with radio and all. Neat! Then he pulls another out of his coat and hands it to me and says, "Merry Christmas".
We've hunted together for about 30 years.
Never again without my GARMIN RINO GPS!!!!!!
I've learned MUCH more about our property [different plot] since I can now enter and WANDER thru the woods WITHOUT fearing getting lost!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
WITHOUT fearing getting lost!

Have ben lucky to be misplaced(I ain't never ben lost,just powfull confused a timer two) only once where it had me a little worried.The funny part was I had mt GPS on me,it just didn't work with the thick foliage cover I was in. Worse yet it appeared to be working!
The GPS is a great tool but it should never be THE tool.The batteries or unit itself can die,it can get wet in a river crossing or lost along the way,foliage cover can render it very unreliable!!
Have fun and be safe! The GPS radio is a good tool but should not replace the toolbox of information you already have.Compasses,maps,a good backup plan are still important.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I NEVER get lost and often hunt until DARK. That's because I NEVER go anywhere without my Magellan Meridian Color.:D

I also learned the hard way after getting turned around in the woods and walking wayyyyy out of the way and having a heck of a time finding my way out. I would strongly recommend using a GPS with street maps. In an emergency it may very well be important to find the nearest street/home, rather than to just follow your crumb trail back to where you started.

I have also become MUCH MORE capable at exploring new, large tracks of land because I always know exactly where I am and can SEE several ways to get back out. The GPS is a big confidence builder.

I would add, however, that you should not rely on a GPS EXCLUSIVELY. Like any other electronic gadget they are subject to failure and according to Murphy's Law, it will probably happen just when you can least afford it to happen. It is a good idea to take compass readings periodically and note what bearing you would have to follow (to get back) if the GPS failed. GPS units often EAT batteries so a fresh set in reserve should always be carried.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Screwed by GPS several times

...The funny part was I had mt GPS on me,it just didn't work with the thick foliage cover I was in. Worse yet it appeared to be working!
The GPS is a great tool but it should never be THE tool.The batteries or unit itself can die,it can get wet in a river crossing or lost along the way,foliage cover can render it very unreliable!!
I hear that. Hunting last archery season and the GPS said I was 2 1/2 miles from the vehicle for about 2 1/2 miles. Finally, when I got to the truck, it figured I was closer - about 1 mile. Whe I got to open ground, it was back to dead on. It's a good GPS when it can pickup satellites, but otherwise in the woods... it 's not so good.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Different GPS brands have different antenna designs, also. Some deal with overhead foilage and stuff better than others. They also require different orientation; my Magellan reads MUCH better when I hold it vertically, most Garmins work better when held horizontally (and when I've been out with another guy, my Magellan did better under the trees than my buddy's Garmin.) My Magellan Meridan Color will get a solid lock when mounted inside my truck - parked inside my garage.

If you buy a GPS to find your way back to the truck, be sure you remember to record (waypoint) where the truck is! Doesn't help to get a few miles out, get benighted, and then turn on your GPS, only to realize it has no clue where you parked because you didn't waypoint it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I rarely have a problem with dense foliage preventing satalite reception with my Magellan. Some GPS models (including my Magellan Meridian) are designed to accept an external antenna and/or an amplified external antenna. They can run off of the GPS batteries or use their own separate battery pack. Just a thought if you are on a major trip and anticipate a GPS signal problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.