Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Hornady's 2 inch thick book of loads. I have been to IMR, Hogsdon, Allient web sites and printed a small book of loads. My Lee dies came with several loads.
Varget says 27.5 g, over 2 g too much, 25 to the bottom of the neck. IMR 3031 says 25.5 g, 24 is to the bottom of the neck. I have 2 scales, one old and one new, and they are very close in measurement, within .2 g.
Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2 Reasons. First, there are such loads that are called "compressed loads". This is where the powder might come up to the top of the neck, and when you seat your bullet, you will compress the powder. Some people like compressed loads, others seem to steer clear of them. And secondly, brass is different. No two manufacturers will have the same case capacity. Some name brands have more capacity than others because of how their make their webs and other tolerances.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They may have also used long drop tubes to get that much powder in. This makes a big difference in how much powder will fit when getting close to a compressed load.

Clint

·
Registered
243 Posts
Varget in 223

I could never get more than 26.5 gr of Varget in my 223 cases. This was very accurate with 50 gr bullets but pretty slow for a 223.

I don't know how a guy could get the full 27.5 gr of Varget in a 223 case but suspect it would be a good load.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
If Possible ?

It would take a loooooooooong drop tube, and perhaps a whole lot
of pecking the case to "tamp" the powder in ;) . I love those loads
that require a "full case". That is one of the things that I look for
when searching for a new load is percentage of case fill. That and
percentage of powder burn, and a safe chamber pressure, and good
velocity, and you normally have a load that will be accurate and
fast. Good luck.

Don M.

·
Registered
826 Posts
MTM makes a powder funnel...

that has different length of drop tubes.

I shoot 28.0g of N-135 with a 55g bullet in my 223 AI and it is a case almost running over even with the drop tube...but the trouble is worth the effort...
55g bullet running 3650+ with unreal accuracy...no pressure issues what so ever!

I would check with Sinclair's and Mid South Shooter's products to get a MTM powder funnel and I think that Sinclair's has other options for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
... Varget says 27.5 g, over 2 g too much, 25 to the bottom of the neck. IMR 3031 says 25.5 g, 24 is to the bottom of the neck.
Why are you using "To the bottom of the neck", as a standard. Most bullets do not seat "to the bottom of the neck", especially if the throat is long.

There is no rule that the powder is supposed to go to the bottom of the neck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Additional remarks to Don's

Most of my loads in the 223 have powder charges that go quite a ways into the neck.....and they shoot well.

Using a drop tube as noted above, and compressing the powder slightly when seating the bullet works. A HEAVY compression can cause problems such as bullets moving forward after seating and/or inconsistant seating depth, along with a groove being formed into the bullet by the seating punch, in extreme cases.
Too much compression with a Redding micrometer seater can also flare the seating stem and jam the die-----I have one to show for my effort in a 223. Redding also warns against compressed loads.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Weight vs. volume...

I have Hornady's 2 inch thick book of loads. I have been to IMR, Hogsdon, Allient web sites and printed a small book of loads. My Lee dies came with several loads.
Varget says 27.5 g, over 2 g too much, 25 to the bottom of the neck. IMR 3031 says 25.5 g, 24 is to the bottom of the neck. I have 2 scales, one old and one new, and they are very close in measurement, within .2 g.
Anybody else notice this?
There are a couple more items to add to what has been said:

For one, no two jugs of powder are the same when it comes to volume vs. weight. The amount of moisture and ether content will affect weight. In other words, after powder has a chance to "air out", the same weight poured into a scale pan may in fact over fill the case.

For another, volume of the cases depends on whether they have been fire formed yet, and on the case manufacture as well. Certainly if you are loading new cases, this would be one reason the cases seem so full (which I'm sure you realize;) ) As for case capacity, I have found there to be almost a grain difference between what I can pack into some Rem .223 cases I have as compared to some Norma and some Lapua .223 cases - the RP cases holding the greater amount of powder.

Hope this helps!

P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts