Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know WHY, but it just happens. I am ready to save money, wrap up some debts,,and then, a new rifle and cartridge HOT RUNNING WANT comes out of NOWHERE!.:eek:
Been looking real close at Remington's XR100 rifle. Not exactly an XP100, but better. No flat on the bottom, and a longer tang on back, extra action mounting bolt too I think[?].
I've been wanting a single shot bolt action. This one is NICE. I've also been wanting to build a 'play' rifle in .358 Win HEAVY BARREL, that would not belt me off the back end. Either a Decelerator or new Limbsaver pad will be nice on the back end. Kinda like putting shock absorbers on a mules back legs:D .
Now I'm thinking it could wind up being a switch barrel. Why? Well, being one who likes the .25-08 idea, I"ve been thinking more and more about the .260 Remington instead. LOTS of bullet choices in 6.5 mm [oooops, I mean .260",,,,were AMERICAN,,right?].
The XR100 in .260 could become the next Pasture Cannon, except without the bite of the .300 Win. Mag I used before.
I should stay off the couch,,too much rifle building happens there.
I don't know why I like 'odd' rifles and calibers,,I just 'do'. I'll wind up with an XR100 in .308 [factory barrel] and .358 Heavy and .260 Varmint weight switch barrels on this neat bolt action and stock [I LIKE the factory stock].
What think?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sounds like an idea to me! I also like 'odd' calibers, and especially like the .25-08 idea. Wonder why it's not more popular? The .260 kinda leaves me cold, personally. Perhaps you should consider the 'new' .338 Federal; doubtless more .338 bullets available than .358 - much to the chagrin of us .35 Whelen fans.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds like...

you need a XR100 in 22-250....then send it to your smith and have a switch barrel done...with a 260 barrel and a 358 Win barrel fitted. Pin the recoil lug, get a barrel vise and action wrench......a "good" scope with repeatable clics, and go have fun.:)
Then when you get tired of it, send it to me to play with. :D :D :D
By the way....I have a XR100 in 223 and took it to Mike Bryant and he rechambered a 204 Ruger barrel I had swapped for, to 20 Tactical, and fitted it to the XR. I now have 2 barrels for mine, a 223 and 20 Tactical. I had it built for the PD's....when one gets hot, twist it off and go with the other.

·
Registered
458 Posts
257 Dgr

I've been talking myself out of one of these for about 3 years now. But I still WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! I'll break one of these days and have one.
The 260 case necked down to 257 looks good.
EricT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts