Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester model 70 stainless with camo stock, 243 wssm that freckles up with rust at nothing. I thought maybe Winchester may have blasted it with media used on other metals, I cleane dit well, and still another outbreak. Smaller this time, but what can I do to get this stopped short of re blasting ? Any chemical that will remove all of the rust/media blasting carry over outout harming the stainless

It's not me this time LOL.. I have another blue win model 70 in 7mm wsm that never has any rust problems. Anyone else have this problem ?

Clint

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Only the purist stainless steels won't rust, all others will rust due to other impurities. I have found that wiping down my firearms after use with one of the silicone impregnated clothes helps to keep them looking new. If I used them during heavy rain or in the sweltering heat I will clean them with Eezox inside and out. I have found Eezox to be one of the best cleaners and rust preventers that I have ever used.

http://www.eezox.com

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep agree on stainles snot rusting. Just comparing to other stainless rifles have, this one breaks out in rust way to easy. I even treated it with one of the very best rust protection things I have ever used, still withen a month no rain use or anything like that, it still freckled back up.

Anyone every trie dthe birchwood casey blue and rust remover on stainless ? LOL

Clint

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here's an option for you. Some people have their rifle glass bead blasted to clean up the metal. Once the rifle is cleaned of all rust, spray it with DuraCoat matte clear finish. After the DuraCoat cures, you'll get no more rust at all, nor will cleaning solvents hurt the rifle/finish. It's good stuff. MI VHNTR

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Surface "Dirty"?

First, I would try RIG - a brand of Rust Inhibiting Grease - or their Stainless Steel RIG. I have used it for years.

If the RIG doesn't work well enough, more drastic measures are needed. Stainless will rust like that if the surface has been 'contaminated' with some iron or steel. Note that blood contains iron, and it may even be the problem if the rifle has gotten blood sprayed on it and not washed off properly. Or some iron-contaminated blast media could have been used originally in its manufacture. The idea to glass bead blast the surface sounds good to me, but I would wash it down first with a mild acid (vinegar?) first to try to get the iron off, then glass bead blast to get a nice finish. Use fresh media, so as to not get contamination on it again.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stainless will rust if allowed to. In your case, it may be a bad batch of metal for that barrel if its rusting that easily. I would degrease the surface and use a rust prohibitive storage spray like Birchwood Casey Barricade. Also, are the guns in an area where you can put a goldenrod or similar product where they are stored?

Ken

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, I would try RIG - a brand of Rust Inhibiting Grease - or their Stainless Steel RIG. I have used it for years.

If the RIG doesn't work well enough, more drastic measures are needed. Stainless will rust like that if the surface has been 'contaminated' with some iron or steel. Note that blood contains iron, and it may even be the problem if the rifle has gotten blood sprayed on it and not washed off properly. Or some iron-contaminated blast media could have been used originally in its manufacture. The idea to glass bead blast the surface sounds good to me, but I would wash it down first with a mild acid (vinegar?) first to try to get the iron off, then glass bead blast to get a nice finish. Use fresh media, so as to not get contamination on it again.
Pretty sure that is exactly what the problem is. I will try the vinegar next time. It's all factory I purchased it new. Looks just like a bead blasting problem, it may have been towards the end of teh run for win and they were just getting them out. Bead blasting refinish is my last option, I really like this little rifle, light, accurate, just handy if ya know what I mean

·
Registered
460 Posts
Stainless means it just stains less -

I have a Winchester model 70 stainless with camo stock, 243 wssm that freckles up with rust at nothing. I thought maybe Winchester may have blasted it with media used on other metals, I cleane dit well, and still another outbreak. Smaller this time, but what can I do to get this stopped short of re blasting ? Any chemical that will remove all of the rust/media blasting carry over outout harming the stainless

It's not me this time LOL.. I have another blue win model 70 in 7mm wsm that never has any rust problems. Anyone else have this problem ?

Clint
It's not that stainless steels don't rust at all, just stain less. In some chemical environments it is worse than alloy steels. Fortunately, we don't have to hunt in those environments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Clint, if that puppy is rusting that bad on the outside, then that bore is likely shot. LOL

Actually, even though your bore is chrome lined, I would still be pretty liberal on putting some gun oil down the bore after a good cleaning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked the bore, looks good, I keep a thin coat of oil on it pretty much all the time, or it's got bullet/carbon fouling in it. It's mainly at the corners of the magazine latch, and one spot on the barrel. With 5 or 6 other stainless guns in the safe, this one should be acting better than this LOL.... Next time it breaks out I will take more drastic measures and wanted to get some advise, vinegar wash down will be next, and I reckon I will bead blast it after that and then if it still does it I will do again and clear coat it.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

Clint

·
Registered
66 Posts
Paint it. You have that nice camo stock with a bright shiny stainless barrel.
One time out hunting, one guy spotted my stainless rifle and scope from about a mile away. My stainless hunting rifles all got a coat of Krylon. It wears well, the paint job on my 270 has lasted four seasons so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts