Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started getting several different messages regarding windows registry problems. All of them refer me to a different website to fix the problem, none are Microsoft and all will 'fix' the problems for a fee. Does this sound like legit problems or spyware/adware?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds bad. You must have clicked on something bad.

There is a free registry scrubber out there that works very well. It only works with WindowsXP and does a great job. There is a link to RegScrubXP right near the top on my Computer Page: http://www.varmintal.com/acomp.htm

I have use RegScrubXP on 5 different computers running WindowsXP and it works. It cleans out junk in your registry. Not sure if it is your registry though, but it wouldnt hurt to give RegScrubXP a try.

·
Registered
365 Posts
rb45 is right. Do NOT go to any of those linked sites.

Google up the registry cleaner mentioned above, or the free one that I use, RegSeeker. (You should have and use one anyway.)

Then you need to get rid of the malicious bug that's causing those popup notices about a registry problem. There are several good spyware removers for free or low cost. Many people use Ad Aware or Spy Bot. Microsoft will give you Windows Defender. All these are in ADDITION to a good virus protection program (Norton or McAfee) and a good firewall (Zone Alarm)! You need them ALL to be even partly safe these days!

Some you can buy or download from known safe sites (go DIRECTLY to the host site URL, not by clicking on a link). Search sites that test, review and recommend freeware or shareware (Tucows.com is excellent) for a product that you like.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is probably Nothing wrong with your registry as your computer is clearly working. Sounds like spyware/adware to me. Clean it out, don't mess with the registry unless you have some guidance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.