Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it actually snowed right here on the floor of the Willamette Valley today! That so rarely happens. It snowed up in the foothills a few days ago, but today it made it all the way down to the floor of the valley.

I rushed back outside and took a brief video. At least the snow was managing to slow down some of the speeders that I have on my street!

Here is a link to view the video:

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=40paiv9

This cold front from Alaska is heading east and further south. Nevada should get hit real hard tomorrow by it.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bbbrrrr

Looks cold to me. I lived near Chicago for my high school years and in '67 we got 42" of snow in three days, I now live in the desert. Here we can look up to the mountains and see it from afar! BBBRRRR!

BTW, anybody on the news talking about "global warming" there???? I bet not. Keep warm.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Brings back memories

Moved from Eugene to SE Idaho 11 years ago. Quickly got used to lots of frequent snow storms. Remember snow being a big deal living there while here people don't want to slow down for snow. Every year the state police are telling people just because the speed limit is 75 on the interstate doesn't mean you have to drive that fast. They usually don't go far down the road at that speed, just far off the road.

The biggest snow storm I ever saw was in '69 in Eugene. Known as the "Big Snow" got over 24 inches in about 24 hours. As a kid it was great, no school for a week. No snow plows so they used front end loaders to clear the streets. Lots of snow was loaded into dump trucks and dumped in the Willamette river. Wonder if they would need some type of environmental permit to do that now.

Enjoy the snow while it lasts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In Oregon?

Chuck.....you`d need a permit just to start the dump truck!!:eek:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moved from Eugene to SE Idaho 11 years ago.
Perhaps I will join you ACPCHUCK. I'm now becoming disillusioned with Oregon, and more specifically, the Eugene/Springfield area.

You would not believe all of the new taxes being proposed here. The Govenor is backing a bill to put a surcharge tax on all auto insurance policies, to help fund the state police and put more officers on the highway. And the state legislature is considering increasing the gas tax significantly, or even monitoring driver's mileage, and then charging a tax per mile you drive when you come in to fill up your gas. They actually are running a trial of this program up in Portland right now with volunteers. The state is worried that higher mileage cars will reduce taxes in the future, as people will be using less gasoline.

Locally, Lane County is also working on passing a County income tax of 2 percent this coming May to get more money for law enforcement and the courts. Both Springfield and Eugene each passed two bond measures each last November that will increase our property taxes.

The city council of Eugene is holding hearings this month on a transportation fee to be charged each homeowner and business to pay for city road maintenance. Some city councillors are so pro riding bicycles, and so much against driving cars, that they have refused to fund maintaining the streets for years, and a huge $100 million backlog of street repairs now exists in Eugene! The roads are literally falling apart.

And on top of that, the Eugene council has another hearing set to come up this month on implementing a City income tax, to help pay for schools.

So just think, if you had stayed here in Eugene, you could soon be paying income taxes to the state, county, and city, as well as all of these other creative new taxes.

So I may not last the year here. But the question is, where is there a decent place to live with a good economy for jobs, that is also gun friendly, with good hunting opportunities??

Does such a paradise exist??

Lance Down on Orygun

·
Registered
482 Posts
Where is paradise

Lance,

My in-laws live in Florence and my cousin builds homes in Eugene. From them I hear all the horror stories of new tax ideas that the state, county and cities are talking about. When is enough enough?

Not sure that where I live (Pocatello) is paradise, the low temps for the next several days will be below zero and the highs in the teens. However homes are a great value here. You can buy a brand new 2500 square foot home with an unfinished basement (can you say custom reloading area?) for well under $200,000. Property taxes are less than Oregon but we do have a 6% sales tax.

Firearms are a part of life here. No one blinks an eye when I talk about being a 4H shooting sports instructor. We have a great range about 10 minutes from the house. http://www.orgsites.com/id/gcssa/ All of $40 a year to be a member and do all the shooting you want.

We have a new manufacturing business coming to town. Hoku will be building a $220 million polysilicon facility to make silicon for solar panels. There are some other good employers in town but not a lot.

On second thought, maybe this is close to paradise, Sportsmans Warehouse opened a new store here in November. 2.5 hours to Yellowstone or Jackson. Just a little further to the Sawtooths or Salmon (for steelhead or salmon fishing).

Only thing I really miss about Lane County is floating the McKenzie for summer steelhead but understand you almost need a reservation just to get on the river now. And staying with the in-laws in Florence. Had a small boat and outboard I kept there. Would fish in the morning and crab in the afternoon (if the tides were right). 20 to 40 dungeness crabs in a weekend. Won't ever eat a store or resturant bought crab again.

Overall, it depends on what you want and what you can do without. Although if all those new taxes go through you may be doing without a whole lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Lance,
I'm on the same page. The state revenue is highest in years but the guvnuh can only talk tax increases. We already have a NINE % income tax with the top bracket under $10,000. The only saving grace is Orygun is 51% public lands.

I'm up in Beaverton, less snow here. I keep thinking I'm gonna go out in my white outfit and call in the snow then I look at the calendar and realize I have to work! Life ain't fair.
Hellgate

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW Chuck

Only 10 min to your range and you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in town? Heck, even Eugene/Springfield does not have that store. The closest one to us is over an hour away in Salem. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal there. Probably no waterfowl hunting anwywhere nearby, though?

Gee Whiz, 20 to 40 dungeness crabs in a weekend? Now that is really living high on the hog! Do you realize how much that amount of crab would cost retail? You are talking a small fortune.

I'm going to have to figure out something new this year. I might even move back to the Reno/Sparks area, to be close to my kids. Although Nevada really does not appeal to me at all, other than being close to family. And that is big consideration.

Thanks for sharing.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hellgate, yea, but the

environmental wackos here want practically all of Oregon's public lands to be put off limits. There is one radical group that even wants to make much of Eastern Oregon a Wilderness Area, with no road access of any kind.

It thought our Federal lands were for the people to use and enjoy??

Do you go back east after yotes? If you would ever need a partner to help call yotes, let me know. I've got a new FoxPro, and some pretty good video equipment, besides firearms.

Send me a private message, or go to my profile here and shoot me an email.

Lance in Oregon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts