Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious; how many of you do the bulk of your reloading over the winter months?

I use the dark and dismal time to get all my Springtime prairie dog ammo loaded up, get a head start on test loads for range work and fill all the plinking rounds that I use while barrels cool at the range.

Just filled a bunch of .41 Specials, .45 Colts and some more .38s. Time to make a shopping list of the primers, powders and bullets I'll need for the .221 and .223 PD loads, and also spend some time on the press handle making new test rounds for a long-overdue shooting article.

How about you folks?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the reminder

I have all of this year's 221 FB brass to get ready for next years PD wars.

I've really like the Blue Dot loads for this round but might also try a few rounds loaded with RL-7.

Cabin fever usually tells me when its time to get busy at the loading bench.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That is always my intention. I generally get all my brass preped and a good start on reloading everthing. Sometimes I even get all of it done. Winter is definately the right time to get all wildcat brass ready. That way if something happens you have lots of time to get what you need before you have to be done.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I always start my reloads right away

I usually start reloading my spent cases the very next day. Even if I shoot 400 rounds shooting pdogs they are all usually reloaded in the next few days. After a day shooting the cases hit the tumbler and the rifles are cleaned that day/night. Same thing goes for a session at the range.

Most of my loaded ammo is not in large quntities.

17 Rem 700, 20BR 200, 223 1000, 220 Swift 150, 243 150, 243WSSM 100, 257 AI 100, 7mm Rem 100, 308 40 (still adding to this new rifle).

This way, I am always ready to go should a friend call and schedule a hunting trip.

Mike.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Once YOu Try RL 7, You Will Never Look Back

I have all of this year's 221 FB brass to get ready for next years PD wars.

I've really like the Blue Dot loads for this round but might also try a few rounds loaded with RL-7.

Cabin fever usually tells me when its time to get busy at the loading bench.

A. Weldy
Alan:

Once you try Reloader's 7 and Sierra 40 grn Blitz Kings you will never be
using anything else in your 221 Fireball. It is difficult to believe, but, 3,700
fps and dead nuts accuracy is possible. Good luck.:D :D :D

Don M.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Old Reloads don't affect my Custom ..

223 at all ...at least not up to 3 years old . However , this 223 was throated for 50 Gr. Btips , and later when I switched to 40 Gr. Vmax , I coud not get closer than 0.030 in . from the Lands . That is with the Bullet seated way out ...in fact a few Percent of the rounds will come apart when I go walking-and-shooting ..... so there is not a lot of neck contact with the Bullet . The accuracy with this Hart Barrel has always been amazing almost with any bullet and powder . After over 8000 rounds , I'm probably over 0.060 in. away from the Lands and still easy to Group 4 shots ( no wind ) in the 3-4's with old Reloads . I don't know how much more I can expect in Barrel life , so I guess I should go pick-up a spare Hart Barrel ...one of these days !

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Haven't noticed much if any...

difference, but then most of my stuff is moly coated. I usually load as much pd stuff as I can in Jan or Feb. By March benchrest season is coming along and so are the fun shoots.

Rick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don M.---thanks for response

I've tried a few of the RL-7 / BK40 loads and they were pretty impressive, plus, had even more potential.

The Blue Dot loads are near ideal for short range shooting out of the vehicle in the stop and pop mode, Sometimes this shooting is fast and furious and these loads don't generate nearly as much barrel heat----plus---almost never need cleaning.

These loads will never approach the performance of the RL-7 loads but do a good job where they are used.

I'm going to try more of the RL-7 loads to see about barrel heat and cleaning but it will be hard to give up the Blue Dot stuff. I do have an extra action and a good 223 takeoff barrel. Have been thinking about rechambering that barrel into 221 FB and taking a pair of them---one each for BD and RL-7.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just curious how many of you plan for the bullet to case neck "soldering" that happens with uncoated bullets when they sit for a long time...
I have fired ammo that I loaded more than 20 years ago, with no "soldering"??? In fact when chrono'ed, the velocity was within 10fps of the original.

And I have never seen this "effect" in the many cases of milsurp ammo that I have shot.

It's one of the many things spoken of on shooter's boards that seem to pass me by.

·
Registered
928 Posts
count me in

I also use the winter to get my prairie dog ammo loaded. Last week I sorted all of the brass I mailed home and now that its sorted into zip lock bags by caliber, I will tumble, deprime, re-prime and get ready to load more ammo in the coming months.
My biggest decision is which rifles to load for since I like so many.
Ken

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I re-load the vast majority of my summer supply now.

Rocky,
I stuff nearly all of my summer time shooting cases between News Years Day and Easter. I do very little range work in the colder months because I seldom load any "hot" loads. Most of my loads are pretty mundane. A long shot for me while chucking is a 300 yd shot, and those shots are very infrequent. If a PD shooting trip is planned, I usually opt for one of my dedicated PD busting 223s, so I don't need to work up any warm weather loads. A few more days yet and I'll start stuffing the empty, prepped brass from last summer. That aids the cabin fever associated with the first 3 months of a new year. Take care. Bill..........

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yuppers, just what I thought - we all think alike!

Oh, and what's that BlueDot load combo, also? I'm known for my BD recipes, but haven't yet worked up one for the Fireball. It WOULD be great for out-the-truck-window shots at young/stupid PDs! Plenty of time to load some up.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Galvanic Weld

Just curious how many of you plan for the bullet to case neck "soldering" that happens with uncoated bullets when they sit for a long time...

I remember reading that some will seat them out 0.xxx" then seat them to final depth shortly before a match or a p-dog trip. I have never done this, but have noticed a HUGE difference in bullet to neck hold, especially with naked bullets, when they sit in the case for several months.
Don,

Most people in the 1000 yard game account for this by seating long and final seating at the match. I actually don't even load my rounds until I am at the match on match day. Just prep everything ahead, dump the powder and seat the bullets.

HM

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rocky---Blue Dot loads for 221 FB

I found I could go safely up to slightly over 12 gr with 40 gr bullets.

I tweak the powder measure to throw between 11.8 gr and 12 gr as a slight safety margin.

This load produces slightly over 3.000 fps with 40 gr bullets in my gun and shoots cool and clean.

Use these reduced loads at your own risk. I've had zero problems with these loads but some shooters are concerned.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
826 Posts
I like to cast bullets in the cold weather.....

Today I melted down 280 lbs of Linotype into 1 lb bars. Last weekend we melted down 250 lbs of wheel weights. Let the party begin!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When I was about 7 years old

I remember sitting with my neighbor at his reload bench, and it was winter. Raining hard. He was a quiet, older guy who didnt say much... but when he did say a few words, you remembered them.

"Nothing like reloading on a rainy day" was a one liner of his I never forgot.

Even though I do most calling and hunting in winter, I find it the best time of year to work at the bench.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

I remember reading that some will seat them out 0.xxx" then seat them to final depth shortly before a match or a p-dog trip. I have never done this, but have noticed a HUGE difference in bullet to neck hold, especially with naked bullets, when they sit in the case for several months.
I'm hoping with Danzac that won't be a problem - doesn't seem to be an issue with moly'ed pills. When going "barefoot", I wipe the inside of the neck with a Q-Tip coated with a little "Never-Seez" - seems to work better than anything I've tried to prevent that bonding issue.

I almost never get around to doing my PD loads till the last minute...[sigh]. But, I suppose that minimizes bonding as well:D

P.

·
Registered
385 Posts
YES, it's reloading time....

I live in Michigan and the weather from Dec on is grey, cold and sometimes snowy, sooo, it;s a great time to reload. It;s also a great time to check E-bay, and varmint web sites for more reloading goodies, and stock up. However, that said, I am stil counting the days til Spring and our trip to the PD fields.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts