Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you all would like to know that today a press conference was held at the Corps of Engineeres Office to dicuss the leak in Wolf Creek Dam that holds the water on Lake Cumberland in our area which has 1,255 miles of shoreline. They stated in the conference that the leak is more serious than first thought and it is rated 6th in the nation as the most serious problem dam. The dam was built in 1951 and has had some leak issues before, but none this serious and went on to say that in the next 15 days the already low lake level will be pulled to an unbeliveable level.

The loss of monies taken in from the tourist this summer is estimated in the millions and they went on to say that putting a fishing boat or any other type as far as that is concerned will be very difficult and plan on making some make shift ramps to ease the pain of someone trying to get on the lake.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
GREYFOX you guys better watch out downriver........this thang Busts and you guys in Nashville area might get a nasty surprise. This is really bad news; maybe the Yankees won't be coming down here to dump their beer cans in the lake.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Not to worry JR. I'm on high ground. It's those yahoo's down on lower Broad at Tootsie's Orchid lounge that might have a problem.

Rick

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
JR= You don't know

How right you are as I live 50 miles straight line down river from theWold River Dam and my house sits right above the confluence of the Obey and Cumberland Rivers just 5 miles under Dale Hollow Dam so I could get a double whammy.. My house would be marginal as it sits about 100 feet above River level ,, Very very scarry:eek:
Doc:)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hey DOC & GreyFOX,I have a spare mini apt available next to my place your welcome to stay in until this passes, Just cost ya one of those BR Things. :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Fishing?

It has been years since I fished Cumberland and Dale Hollow. And the trout fishing below the dam is just incredible. I really hate to hear about that dam. I sure hope they get it fixed, instead of wasting money on something useless. Tom.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Tom and Dough Boy

Thanks for the kind words-Iintend to find out where the projected High Water worst case senerio would be as to my house..
W/O doubt my office would be several feet under water :eek:
as would be the entire town of Celina. Fishing is still very good below Dale Hollow Dam for trout.
Doc :)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
That Is Truely Bad News

I heard the news report on the dam yesterday Ken, and I and I am
sure many others are greatly concerned. I have a brother that lives
in Burkesville just below the dam. I just hope they get the leaks fixed
before there is a major disaster. And, should the dam break it would
surely be one of the greatest disasters in this country. The Lake is
101 miles long and you turn that much water loose all at once and
the results would be devestating with so much loss of life & property.
Like Doc says, Burkesville, Ky and Celina, Tennessee would be totally
destroyed and probably a lot of Nashville, and everything in the valleys
in between. Let us pray that the necessary repairs can be performed
before this disaster occurs.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Kinda sounds like the moneys to fix the levys in New Orleans going into pet projects (and ultimately the pockets) of the politicians at city hall...

sigh...

P.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Very bad news indeed!

Wow! A lake 101 miles long would make for one big enema for KY and TN! Let's pray the Corps can work some magic BEFORE the fact (this time).:eek:

P.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dale Hollow Lake... I once taught an advanced Dive and Rescue class there for the KSP folks. We made a qualifying 160 feet dive just off Troopers Island. Man was that water cold even with full 7mil thick wetsuits and hoods and gloves. A few minutes at depth and 46-54 F temps and total blackness was most miserable part of the class. Funny how simple math problem are diffcult to solve as normal Nitrogen levels increase in the brain. Other than that, the lake was so beautiful. I've offened wanted to stay in one of the rental cabins along the shore. Sure hope engineers find a plug soon.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Pull up a map of Southern Kentucky and you will see Lake Cumberland between Jamestown, Somerset, and Monticello. The water goes in a southwestern direction, eventually to the Mississippi River.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.