Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I humbly request that you take time to access and read the newspaper story about a wounded Marine at the link below. Pay special attention to paragraph 3, "I want to go hunting and fishing again."

As a retired 57-year old Federal law enforcement agent, I don't cry very often, but must admit I got a bit misty-eyed and felt a lump in my throat more than once as I read this in my Sunday morning newspaper.

I vow that he will have at least one place to hunt when he is again able.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/NEWS01/612170380

·
Registered
321 Posts
In 1972, I spent 4 months in an open ward at the old Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital with Marines such as him. Each had their own story to tell and not a whiner amongst them.

I spent the better part of 2 months in traction, surgery then rehab. You could not let your guard down a moment around all those sailors.:p And we had some top notch Corpsmen working our ward, but except for one, we gave them a daily ration of hard time for being sailors. The one we pretty much left alone was a 2ndClass Petty Officer who wore the Bronze Star on his Whites. We never asked how he got it, he never offered to tell.

This young Marine in the article is like many I have known through the years. It is good to know that even if the years have passed and the names have changed, the Heart of the Marine Corps still beats strongly in the men, and women, who wear the uniform.

For a moment in time here, I wish to remember L/Cpl John Steele, who, the last time I saw him, he was chasing Navy Nurses down the hallways of the Pendleton Hospital in his wheelchair. And making them squeal when he caught one and pinched her on the bums. I sincerely hope his life has been good. For he was a good Marine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the link Knockemfloppin

that is one amazing young man! I wish him all the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts