Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .223 the other day...Finally took it to the range with a load that had shot well in other Rem700 rifles I have had...Rem brass,Win SR primer,27.5grs of BLC-2 and a 50gr Nosler ballistic tip.First 8 shots @ 100 yrds I could cover with a dime it was one oblonged ragged hole ....zeroed it 3" high at 100yrds..Went out to 300yrds for a 5 shot group,JUST UNDER A INCH!!!! 4 and a half inches low.I couldn't believe it...I have had my share of high end custom rifles built for big bucks and this little factory .223 for 419.00 will shoot right along with them.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Don't ya just hate that!?...NOT! I bought a VS in .223 with every intention of rebarreling it w/ a custom stainless match bbl. Like you, first group out of the tube, 5-shots in one hole. Hmmmm, sez me.... LSS, it was the best shootin' .223 I ever had. The gun now is the home of a custom 6BR, a tack driver in it's own right, but I wish to this day I had just gone out and bought another action to have that 6BR bbl put onto. I miss my .223 Rem very much...like every morning on the prairie when awakened by that "cheep-cheep-cheep" sound of the PDs in the South Dakota air!

Have some fun wid dat!!

P.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know its early But

are you sure your new gun isn't one of those "NEW SUPER 2223 AI"? 47.5 g of BL C2 always seams a little hot in my 223 P.S. I'm getting along better with the new board, seems like everyone likes improvement but not many of us like change. Merry Xmas all

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
now now

Picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .223 the other day...Finally took it to the range with a load that had shot well in other Rem700 rifles I have had...Rem brass,Win SR primer,47.5grs of BLC-2 and a 50gr Nosler ballistic tip.First 8 shots @ 100 yrds I could cover with a dime it was one oblonged ragged hole ....zeroed it 3" high at 100yrds..Went out to 300yrds for a 5 shot group,JUST UNDER A INCH!!!! 4 and a half inches low.I couldn't believe it...I have had my share of high end custom rifles built for big bucks and this little factory .223 for 419.00 will shoot right along with them.
you know a remington wont shoot out of the box ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thats great to hear. I bought a cheap .223 ADL several years ago for PDs and have shot a huge number with it. I too have shot some unbelievable long range groups with it. The trigger is crappy, it won't feed from the magazine and it often fails to eject (but so far not to extract). I've not been able to fix those problems but since it shoots PDs so well, I just deal with it & continue on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any rockchucks left out your way?

Been off the board for a few years (busy digging). Was thinking of escaping mid Jan to give the dogs a refresher course in terminal ballistics 101. I still have (and shoot a lot) the 416 I built (John Ricks) on that stainless action you sold me. Shoots sub MOA and "Kills at one end and wounds at the other".

Whatch been doing these yrs?

I built a plain jane 700 ADL into a shooter by trimming the barrel to 19" and putting some freefloated maple under it. Added a trigger adjustment and it`s MOA and better. Added a Conquest scope and late day yotes are not safe. Best 223 I have. The Savage bull barrel shoots better but is way to heavy and long to pack far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts