Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
The load that works for me very well in my Rem. 700 with 26" Shilen SS 1 in 10" barrel is 52.2 grs. IMR 4350, CCI 250 primer, Remington case, 87gr Sierra, OAL 3.150 . All you see of a groundhog when you shoot is a red mist.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've had good luck with RL-19 and IMR-4831

on the upper end of load data in reloading manuals, behind an 85 grain ballistic tip. Both powders shot equally in my 700 Remington. I believe Keith C. had excellent results with RL-25, but I couldn't find a lot of 'published' load data for this powder. Any loads with this cartridge should be extremely devastating, with fairly good loft & splat factor on the smaller targets. Maybe just red mist with the TNT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. Right now, I'm having a Win 70 action blueprinted and a Shilen Select Match barrel is on order....looking to have a tack driver when done. I'll copy these loads you suggest, and work some of 'em up. lol, I know I didn't ask the question, OP just beat me to it...

·
Registered
826 Posts
My current barrel likes some rip snort'en loads.....

I have a 700 factory 24" Rem Stainless 1-10 twist barrel, here are what it likes:

100g Nosler Ballistic tip or 100g Hornady SP flat base
Win brass
Fed 210
57g of R#19
Bullet jumping 0.060

87g Speer
Win Brass
Fed 210
56g of IMR 4350
Bullet jumping .060

These loads are on the warm side but show no pressures with this lot# of powder and this barrel. In fact, all I do is bump back the shoulder necksizing with a Bonanza neck sizer.

This barrel will not shoot a 85g Ballistic tip, nor the 100g Sierra's, nor will it do anything but spray with the bullets near the lands.

Last year I had the pleasure of working with a really great 25/06 in a 12 Twist Shilen barrel with a Minimum spec Chamber. I shot the following loads in this total custom Shilen barrel:

New Win Brass
58.5g of R#25
Fed 215
117g Sierra Flat Base
Bullet seated to touch the lands
Velocity 3350 fps, very low SD
Max load in this rifle, brass needed full length sizing

New Win Brass
63.0g of R#25
Fed 215
100g Sierra Flat Base
Bullet touching lands
Velocity 3650 fps
No pressure in this rifle, neck sized the cases and fired two more times

I loaded a 100 rounds for this freind using the 100g Sierra and he killed a lot of does between 400-600 yards in Texas on the large deer Ranch that he owns.

I do believe that the loads above loaded in a factory 25/06 would be extremely hot loads due to the 10 twist that is standard with the factory twist. These loads should be backed off 5.0-4.0g and worked up to these loads in a factory barrel. Twist rate can jump pressure, and in a 25/06, going from a 12 twist to a 10 twist is substantial. Also, lot # of R#25 can be AT LEAST 5% hotter or cooler, so extreme caution must be exercised when working up to the loads listed above.

If the gunsmith that you use has a standard spec chamber reamer, you are screwed to say the least, you will have a huge bulge on the back of the case at the web, premature primer pocket expansion, and a long leade not allowing you to shoot 85g-87g bullets very well at all.

It would be well worth your time to have a custom reamer built to your specs such as .002 dia over base dia of the BRAND of brass that you choose to use, extremely short leade, .0005 over bullet dia throat dimension, and .002-.003 over loaded round dimension for a neck dia.

I don't believe anything that a gunsmith tells me about his reamer, BEEN BURNT TOO MANY TIMES!!!! If I were to use a gunsmith's reamer, I would ask the guy to make me a neck checker with his reamer, which is a barrel stub with the reamer ran in as far as the shoulder so that I could check the leade, neck dia, etc. BEFORE I HAVE HIM CHAMBER MY BARREL WITH HIS REAMER. A custom gun that has a HUGE chamber is a waste of money in many respects, infact, it is like going to church wearing a 3 piece suit wearing tennis shoes with your big toe sticking out of the shoe!

I learned long ago, there there were very few gunsmiths that I should trust on what they tell me about their reamers because gunsmiths buy used reamers from estate sales, etc. Some of the better gunsmiths can supply you with a print of their reamer, which you will most of the time NOT BE HAPPY WITH because they have to please a wide variety of customers. The quality of chamber that you put in your 25/06 will make or break your rifle in the pressures that you will get along with velocities. Also, many gunsmiths just do not believe in making a minimum spec chamber for a custom hunting rifle, but you will never hear them state this fact. You get razzle dazzled over the glimmer of a custom acton & Stock and that and end up with a very screwed up chamber that works against you instead of for you. The quality of the chamber is in most cases MORE important over whether you decide of going with a custom $1000 acton or a standard Rem 700, no doubt about it! I spent over $10,000 learning this lesson, it's a real shame how some of the bare bone basics are ignored in building a custom gun MOST of the time.

Good luck on your new rifle, one other thing, Winchester brass will take much more pressure vs. remington brass in the several 25/06's that I have owned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keith, I'm thinking your post was directed to the OP, but I want to thank you, too. The gunsmith I'm using, I drove 7 hours to take the gun to him...I've seen results of his work - built the most accurate 6.5-06 I've ever seen, and he worked on a CZ500 Varmint that will shoot .474 at 200. It will be a close chamber. I already have the Win Brass and Fed 210M primers-that's what I plan on sticking with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi DD

Rick B.'s loads for the Ruger #1V in 25-06 are

IMR or Hogdon 4831 powder ( Realy need to try the H 4831 SC , short cut)

90 gr Serria HPBT Rem cases, rem primers Book max of H 4831

100 gr Nosler Partitions or Hornady 100 gr ( Shoot EXACTLY the same in his rifle)

54 gr of either 4831 in Rem cases and rem primers.

After first firing neck size only.

Case life is long if you do it this way.

BTW the 1V has a big chamber.

Good Shooting,

RedFoxy and Rick B.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My best shooting load in my 25-06 with Shilen 26" medium varmit barrel is 52.1 grs of IMR 4350 , Fed 210M primers , col 3.150, 87 gr Sierra spitzer #1610. Rem 700 action, HS Thumbhole stock spruce green with black fleck. Made for me by Mike Holbrook in TN. Topped it with a Niteforce 5-1/2-22X56 NXS.
Another good one is:
Nosler ballistic tip 85 grs
53.4 grs N160
Fed 210M primer
rem nickel case
col 3.250
Hotcap

·
Registered
59 Posts
The main use of my Remington 700 action Shilen SS 26" #6 1 in 10 twist barrel in a H-S Precision Pro-Series stock topped with a Zeiss Diavari 3 - 12X56 is bean field deer hunting. The load that has proven itself time and again over the years is 49 grs. IMR 4350, Remington case, CCI 250 primer, 117 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter, OAL 3.150 . This load will shoot 1/4 min. all day long and with a 3 inch high 100 yard zero I can hold center of the shoulder and kill out to 400 yards. I have killed well over 100 deer with this rifle and can count on one hand the deer that have taken even one step after being hit. I have killed deer with most everything from 22lr to 45-70 and the 25-06 is the best one in my book. I have helped control hunt a big farm in NC for 15 years where one other guy and my self kill over 100 deer a year. We feed a lot of people. We also find out what works best for killing deer.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.