Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 45 colt lever gun. The only lever I have is a Marlin 39 A I bought in high school. My son has a Henry Big Boy I really like it just a little on the heavy side for me. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Henry Big Boy steel carbine or Marlin 1894C. I load for my sons Henry 250g bullets it shoots very well out to 100 with lead loads and 150y with some hotter jacketed loads. I will be using it for close range whitetail stand hunting, plinking and maybe some hogs. Your thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had the 1894C chambered in 44 Mag for a while. It carried very nicely, and I truly liked the style. The main reason I sold it was my failing ability to shoot well with open sights.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Being an ardent fan of Cowboy Action Shooting, I've ammassed quite a collection of lever action rifles......

Easily the most handy, and easy to carry in the field is a Model 92 Winchester in one of the pistol calibers for deer....45LC, 44Mag. If the game is smaller, the 357M gets a nod.

Rossi, Winchester (Japan), and others make great reproduction 92. If you want 45LC, you'll need to buy a repro as Winchester never chambered the 45LC in a lever gun.

Rossi also made the 92 in 454 Casull. Which can also load and shoot 45LC. I have one and it is a hammer with 300g bullets over a stiff load of H110.

The Marlin 94 would be my second choice.

The Henry rifles are just too clunky, and I'm not impressed with their reliability on the cowboy action circuit. They rarely are seen any longer and only by new shooters who abandon them after two or three matches and move into a Marlin 94 or Winchester 66 or 73. And the tube feed is just so "wrong" on a centerfire rifle!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag with open sights, peep sight and a scope for it. Depend on what I feel like looking through. Have taken the scope off and put back on, holds zero enough to use if I don't have time to re zero, usually within a minute of angle. Carries well in the wood. Love having two guns that shoot the same cartridge :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Have the Marlin 1894 Cowboy Carbine LTD in .45 Colt. 20" octagon barrel.

Marlin because its the brand I rode for as a CAS shooter - YEE HAW!

As noted above, other good options.

Best.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I fell in love with a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Good 100-150 yard brush gun w/ enough oomph for deer, bears, moose...etc. Too much gun for cowboy action shooting, I recon. But, wonderful balance and speed for whatever comes in the brush!;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Ok, I'll help revive it. i have two, and I like them both. The first is a 20" barrel Browning model B92 chambered in 357 Mag/38Spl. It works exactly like the original, half cock safety, no button or tang safety. It has Buckhorn style open sights with a gold bead on the front. Recoils is almost like a 22lr. 158gr JHP are more accurate than 125gr bullets per my experience.

The second is a Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy II Limited in 45 Colt with a 24 " full octagon barrel. It is heavier and recoils more, as expected. I usually load it with 30ksi loads meant for Ruger Blackhawk 250gr jacketed bullets. It is almost like 45/70 loads meant for the Trapdoor Springfields. Very accurate and smacks things pretty hard. I have a Lyman 66 peep sight on it, but the original sights were plain open sights.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've own and shot several carbine/short rifles chambered for revolver cartridges.
A Uberti 1873 20" short rifle in 45 Long Colt.
Winchester '92 re-production 20" short rifle chambered in 44 Rem Mag.
Another Winchester '94 Trapper in 44 Rem. Mag.

But, owing to my own 'tag line'.........
My favorite, a re-production Winchester 1886 take-down, custom cut 20 inch short rifle in 45-70.
It shoots light loadings or heavy, a do all, go anywhere kind of rifle.

///

1 - 11 of 11 Posts