Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ran across a reference to a recent .50 Cal explosion that nearly killed a Kentucky man who operates the Kentucky Ballistics YouTube channel. His name is Scott Something and when the accident happened they flew him to Vandy Hospital in Nashville. Other than that, I've had trouble learning much about him, even where he lives, which is fine. The explosion happened April 9 and with us having so many Kentucky and Tennessee regulars here, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on GoGo. Maybe I missed it.

Just yesterday, the Survivor (with a capital S) released a video explaining what happened, at least to the best of his knowledge. Each of us will react to the event differently. I've never seen any of his other videos, so I don't know squat about the young man's character, his background, his safety habits or anything. I'm just posting a link as a reminder to each of us as to what can and DOES happen to even the safest shooter/reloader. Here you go:

.50 Cal KABOOM!

UPDATE: I finally found a website and the shooter is from Murray, which is where I went to college.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
O watched the video yesterday...that dude was being watched over!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I am sure Coyote George loaded that Round. "Fill up the Case, that's why they made it that big."

·
Registered
66 Posts
When ya push the envelope passed the limit....Nothing good ever happens.
Glad that guy wasn't killed.

///

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
That was some sort of unknown round he fired in it. Unknown to me at least...maybe an Armor Penetrator like they used in WW 2? but not that old.

I don't like the looks of that Breach Lockup anyway. Strong "lookin" but only held together by Threads and not many at that.
I don't like unknown ammo. I was given some by "Mike Murphy" years ago. One sounded real stout....too stout. I pulled the bullets of the others and there were 3 different types of Powder in them.
Murph was known for carrying a Hammer to beat the Bolt open after he fired a round. Among other things.

I blew up an AR once that fired out of lockup and it gets your attention.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
A buddy bought 1000 rounds of some 7.62x51 ammo from a reputable company to use in his HK91/G3 which also had a registered sear (Class III). It had an unusual color tip. He started using it, and it was very loud with a bright flash. He ripped off a couple of mags full, and was having fun, when he heard a funny noise. Did a field strip and found that the receiver in the rifle was cracked. Turns out the ammo was mismarked and was actually a case of 100ksi+ proof loads. Called the company to complain, and they wanted the ammo back, gave him the proper ammo, and replaced his rifle, all at their expense. Very lucky, somebody could have been killed. Nothing like doing mag dumps with proof loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts